why does my 7 month old louis suckle my buttons

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my louis boy is getting big but he thinks he is a baby. he sucks on my shirt buttons for some odd reason and loves being in between my legs (i am aware of how weird this sounds😭).i dont mind this but like sometimes when me and my girlfriend want some privacy he keeps trying to join and i cant close the door either bc he gets mad and meows so much it ruins the moment. thinking about getting a small puppy to keep him company. idk what to do omg, is this normal?? is it bc he misses his mum??

Beholder

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Usually when kittens and even sometimes adult cats suckle it's because they were weaned too early. At what age did you adopt him? Did you adopt him as an only kitten? How much do you play with him? Sometimes if kittens are adopted too young and/or by themselves they can have trouble adjusting. Kittens also tend to like warmth and protection, so it makes sense that he wants to be in a warm area. If you're thinking about getting another animal I would suggest you look into another kitten/cat before a dog. 7 months is still very young for a cat so remember they are still learning and adjusting to life, he very likely is not even his full size yet (let alone maturity). If you have the option I would suggest adopting a male kitten similar in age to him before you look into a dog. Also remember that kittens (by kittens I'm referring to a cat under a year and a half) need a lot more attention, although it's debatable that a dog might need even more so please be aware of that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

valentine445

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i got him when he was 2-3 months and i play with him a lot. he is always around, he even waits outside the shower for me. he gets anxious when i leave him so i even had to literally beg my principal to let him stay in my college dorm with me. i take him on walks around the campus and everyone loves him and he is a huge attention seeker. some people even refer to me as 'the girl with the cat' bc wherever i am loius is there too. my gf gets jealous of him though bc we used to have the dorm all to ourselves and its hard to balance out my time between studying, louis and my gf. my friends dog gave birth to puppies and my cat loves playing with them since they are small and he isn't scared of small dogs, thats where my idea came from

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
First things first. He may never outgrow the suckling. I once rescued a 4week old kitten and she sucked my flannel shirts her whole life. Cats and dogs can be friends. I had both and they played and slept together. It may not stop the suckling though. Plus, puppies need more intense training and housebreaking than cats and kittens.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, dogs take a lot more attention and care than a cat. Plus you have to take them outside quite often. I would get a small male kitten for a playmate and that would help. Females tend to be the limit setters, the manners teachers, and are annoyed by the males as they get older. Males bond closer and become playmates when females won't. Take both cats at once for their shots and only have one office visit charge. Two cats are really no more expensive than one. as for laying between your legs, most cats do, they feel protected and it's warm, I have three cats fighting for that position. Suckling gives them feelings of security, they go back to their early kitten days of being with mama. Some cats never outgrow it, many have a favorite fleece or fluffy blanket. Your cat loves you and wants to be near you. Everything he is doing is perfectly normal. He will be more standoffish and independent as he gets older. He is still a kitten right now though and doesn't want to be parted from you. if you want some privacy, it may be a good time to feed him some really yummy food to keep him quiet or introduce a favorite toy that has been 'steeping' in a plastic bag full of catnip.