Why does my 3-month old kitten have black eyes?

kat262

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So next week I’m taking home my first ever pet, a 12 week old white and grey Turkish Van and British shorthair mix. I’ve met her once, she was super playful and sweet. I had to wait two weeks to bring her home, because I’m moving into a new home this week.
I get sent loads of pictures of her in the meantime, but i’ve just noticed that her eyes look completely black. I never really noticed, i thought they were just dark brown, but now looking at the pictures, they look really dark. I’ve looked up what it means, a lot of websites and forums say it could be blindness, but we were really interacting and playing with interactive toys so I dont’t think that could be it. I’ve asked the woman I’m getting her from and she told me it just looks like that on the pictures but I’m not sure. Does anyone have any idea what it could be / if it’s normal?
Thanks in advance!

CD7D74FC-445F-4BCF-BFEC-54E6E11C59DF.png
C6C5BF48-C745-4191-9437-8B8E264DEFF2.jpeg

Attachments

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, her pupils are dilated. I can see her pupils clearly in the second picture, and the pupil in her left eye in the first picture. Her right eye is obscured by whatever is reflecting off it and looks black.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think her eyes are that dark greenish-blue that some kittens have, and the way the picture is set makes it look like they're black. The room is dim so that's why probably why her pupils are dilated. I don't see any red flags that make me think anything is abnormal.

Usually when you get a new pet, you should take them to the vet right away for a checkup. Some breeders even require it in their contracts (to prevent you from trying to say they sold you a sick pet). And the vet will check her eyes. So definitely get the vet's professional opinion, but from what I can see I think she's fine :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kat262

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think her eyes are that dark greenish-blue that some kittens have, and the way the picture is set makes it look like they're black. The room is dim so that's why probably why her pupils are dilated. I don't see any red flags that make me think anything is abnormal.

Usually when you get a new pet, you should take them to the vet right away for a checkup. Some breeders even require it in their contracts (to prevent you from trying to say they sold you a sick pet). And the vet will check her eyes. So definitely get the vet's professional opinion, but from what I can see I think she's fine :).
Thanks a lot this reassured me so much. I still have to wait a week until i get to take her home, and I already have a vet appointment for the day after. I just wanted to ask here because i’ve been worrying about it a lot. I also thought it was weird her having dark brown eyes since i’ve never seen that type of dark brown, only hazel. But I guess I’ll just have to check again in person :)