Why does her head bobble around?

Scamille

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I'm starting to worry about my new cat, it almost looks like her neck is broken by the way she "bobbles" her head. I noticed it a few days after bringing her home but I've been told by several doctors that I'm a huge worry wart so I tried not to panic. I've never seen my other 2 cats do this and I've had them for 13 years. She does it when she's moving fast and when I walk up to her and she throws her head back to look up at me. Am I being paranoid? This morning she was so excited playing I saw her head just wobble from side to side wild like and it made me scared. Has anyone ever seen their cat do this?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It may be that she is so excited it is involuntary, like when they 'chatter' at birds outside or their tail lashes wildly. watch her closely and see exactly when she does it. If it is only when she is excited or staring intently at something, it is most likely normal. If she can't hold it still when she is relaxed or laying down, then it may be neurological. But it must be slight if the vets don't pick up on it.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
IF it happens to be neurological, it sounds as if it is something that she can live normally and happily with. Should that be the case, once you get used to it, it will be just one more thing that makes her special and unique, and you'll stop worrying and love her all the more for it.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
She could have a mild case of Feline Cerebellar Hypoplasia FCH. It happens when a kitten's mother has a virus, often feline distemper, while pregnant. If that is what it is it sounds like a mild case and it isn't progressive. It is caused by a part of the brain not being fully developed because of the virus that it's mother had. Brain Tissue Underdevelopment in Cats

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Did any of the doctors who told you not to worry about it actually see her bobbling her head? You might want to consider taking a video of it to share with your vet. And, as noted above, record what is going on each time the bobble occurs. If it were me, I would want to pursue it a little further - if for other reason than peace of mind.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scamille

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just brought her home, she was living on the street in a bad area (known drug dealers hanging on every corner out in the open) where I felt she could be in danger. I had trapped her and took her to get spayed March 11th then returned her to where she lived being a tire store. Well needless to say I was very sad and a horrible wreck worrying about her so I just went and got her. But anyway all she got was rabies. I'm on a very limited income so I need to prioritize vet visits. I don't think they even checked her really, just spay her but thanks to all who replied I Google thay hypoplasia and it sounds possible definitely. She's good tho, happy cat, very playful and loving and I'm very happy with her! I just wish my oldest cat Libby would accept her

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
She is fine. They do do this when they get you in focus and they want to play.

The Goodbye Bird

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cat waves her head around too, mostly when excited or stimulated. I think there's a video online I saw of a cat doing this. I'll try to find it. Only certain cats do it, others don't.

Ah, found it. It's at 3:50 of this video.

The ones that do it seem to have the sort of differenty head. My cat's head is shaped a little like that, and she also waves her head around.

In the video, it is because the new kitten has stimulated the cat that causes his head to wave. Normally it's up and down though, not side to side.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Scamille

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yep that's exactly what she does! It's so cute too, I just have 2 other cats that've been with me for 13 years and I never seen them do that before so I got worried but thanks!

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat waves her head around too, mostly when excited or stimulated. I think there's a video online I saw of a cat doing this. I'll try to find it. Only certain cats do it, others don't.

Ah, found it. It's at 3:50 of this video.

The ones that do it seem to have the sort of differenty head. My cat's head is shaped a little like that, and she also waves her head around.

In the video, it is because the new kitten has stimulated the cat that causes his head to wave. Normally it's up and down though, not side to side.
Oh my cat does this too! That’s his “woohoo, are you going to play with me? You should definitely play with me!” head swoop move