Why does he open his mouth when he's in the car?

Lawyer Zorro

Malaysian Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
He travels a lot from one place to another, it almost looks like he is hyperventilating but I don't know....Also, his pupils are diluted too. What can you all say about this?

Last edited by a moderator:

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
Open mouth panting coupled with dialated eyes is a classic sign of stress and anxiety

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lawyer Zorro

Malaysian Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks! Now I know why, he's distressed. He is a house cat after all so that's why he is so scared of cars passing by the window.

crystal dawn

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That sounds like stress. The hyperventilating look is panting from being stressed/to warm. Em did it yesterday in the car and it scared me a bit til I remembered what it was and adjusted things so he could cool down. I also sat and talked to him and sung to him to calm him. Honestly, if you can avoid having your cat travel since they're clearly stressed by it that would be best for them. Constant stress can cause a lot of health problems.

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Ok thanks! Now I know why, he's distressed. He is a house cat after all so that's why he is so scared of cars passing by the window.
What kind of carrier does he ride in? Maybe he would feel less stressed in a carrier with no windows except the door.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lawyer Zorro

Malaysian Cat Lover
Young Cat
Purraise
Your usual carrier with some clothes in there for comfort. I sometimes put my raincoat on top of the carrier. Is that ok?

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keeping it dark by putting your raincoat over the carrier will probably calm him some in addition to your scent on the raincoat and the other clothes.