Why Does Frontline and Advantage Not Work For Fleas Now?

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence
I did do a quick google search and none of those websites turned up. Ill keep these in mind for next time.
I really feel like long term use of anti flea meds is harmful for cats. My cats are indoor only so technically they shouldnt be catching any. I think they caught it this time because one hitched a ride on my pant leg or they always had it from the shelter. I only got them months ago. So i decided to use these meds on an as needed basis only.
maybe you need to put in "1-800-PetMeds", that should make it come up

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Indoor kitties= prevention. Not the most effective but least toxic on kitties.

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Then what have you used as a preventative?
There are so few fleas around here that just seeing fleas and then treating the cats is effective enough. We live in a colder climate in the middle of the forest. Our cats are indoor only so they don't usually run into fleas. Even when we had an outdoor indoor cat there just weren't many fleas around. When we noticed one, we'd treat her for them and they'd go away. So really there is no prevention other than keeping the cats inside and the fact that fleas just aren't common around here.

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

There are so few fleas around here that just seeing fleas and then treating the cats is effective enough. We live in a colder climate in the middle of the forest. Our cats are indoor only so they don't usually run into fleas. Even when we had an outdoor indoor cat there just weren't many fleas around. When we noticed one, we'd treat her for them and they'd go away. So really there is no prevention other than keeping the cats inside and the fact that fleas just aren't common around here.
Where is this colder climate you live in? Fleas can be carried in on clothing. If fleas aren't common though, then yay!!!! :) 

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Foothills of the cascade mountains in WA state. :) Our cats could get fleas from our dog who goes in and out. Fleas used to be common around here, but then for some reason recently they haven't appeared again even with extremely warm summer this past year. 

segelkatt

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
back in Laguna Woods, CA after a 2 yr absence

Foothills of the cascade mountains in WA state. :) Our cats could get fleas from our dog who goes in and out. Fleas used to be common around here, but then for some reason recently they haven't appeared again even with extremely warm summer this past year. 
I lived in Tacoma about 7 years ago and I noticed that my cats didn't have fleas. Obviously I did not bring them in on my clothes and even when one of them decided to go out in the yard ( a strict no-no) i did not get any fleas in the house. That was the year that it snowed three times in 6 weeks which is what decided me to return to SoCAl  
 and I'm so glad I did. Although I grew up in a country where it snows heavily every winter I just can't stand the cold anymore, rain even for weeks at a time is ok, cold - absolutely not!

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I lived in Tacoma about 7 years ago and I noticed that my cats didn't have fleas. Obviously I did not bring them in on my clothes and even when one of them decided to go out in the yard ( a strict no-no) i did not get any fleas in the house. That was the year that it snowed three times in 6 weeks which is what decided me to return to SoCAl  
 and I'm so glad I did. Although I grew up in a country where it snows heavily every winter I just can't stand the cold anymore, rain even for weeks at a time is ok, cold - absolutely not!
Cannot blame you on the hating the cold. My family has lived her for several generations now. I think i'm genetically predisposed to love rain and cold and hate sun. If it means I can avoid the fleas I feel like it is all the better. 

amandad

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indoor kitties= prevention. Not the most effective but least toxic on kitties.
Okay... but my cats are indoor only cats as well. I've had two flea infestations (twice in one year) before. Also, if you work in an environment where it is very common for fleas to be on an animal that you come in contact with and it is very likely that you will carry it home with you, then a preventative measure should be taken. Lastly, if you have other animals (or house mates for that matter) that absolutely cannot get bit by fleas (either due to flea allergies, anemia, or just being a type of animal that there is no preventative out there for or are very sensitive) then a preventative, whether that preventative be topical solutions, a bath each month, the use of diatomaceous earth, etc..., should be used.

My point: Just because a cat is indoor, doesn't mean they cannot, or will not, get fleas. 

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay... but my cats are indoor only cats as well. I've had two flea infestations (twice in one year) before. Also, if you work in an environment where it is very common for fleas to be on an animal that you come in contact with and it is very likely that you will carry it home with you, then a preventative measure should be taken. Lastly, if you have other animals (or house mates for that matter) that absolutely cannot get bit by fleas (either due to flea allergies, anemia, or just being a type of animal that there is no preventative out there for or are very sensitive) then a preventative, whether that preventative be topical solutions, a bath each month, the use of diatomaceous earth, etc..., should be used.

My point: Just because a cat is indoor, doesn't mean they cannot, or will not, get fleas. 
oh yea, i know they can get fleas, probably without fail they will. Like how i found a flea on myself while petting Benny. Thats why i said its not effective. But i just feel like its worth my cats having fleas sometimes and then ridding the problem instead of putting the preventive on them 24/7. But all the exceptions you mentioned are very true and a preventive makes sense in those cases.

ccl1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure if this thread is closed or if I am simply replying to the last post but:

Please be aware that many things that are ok to use on dogs are very toxic to cats (it can cause liver or kidney failure). Many essential oils like cedar, lavendar, peppermint, tea tree oil are very bad for cats. I live in Florida with 6 indoor/outdoor cats. I use advantage multi (advocate) and Revolution (Stronghold) alternatively. I agree that revolution works best. Any advantage only seems to work 10 days or so for me. I also use DE Diatomaceous Earth, but it is very importantant that you use the food grade variety. The commercial kind is used for cleaning puposes (pools I think) and can contain harmful chemicals. There are many flea products out there that claim to be 'natural' and ok for cats and they are NOT. Also this site seems to have the best prices available. I have ordered form them many times and you can pay via pay pal for added security. Items come from Germany or Austrailia typically and can take 4-6 weeks to arrive- no signature or rx required!https://bestvaluepetsupplies.com

starfire612

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Advantage II definitely still works for fleas.  Frontline has not worked in a long time.  The only things I use are revolution or advantage 2 and it completely takes care of the issues.

martha anne

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
If you look at the literature that is packaged with Revolution you will see that the company warns you not to use it if the cat is in any way sickly or immune compromised.  My friend is a rescuer and found a cat who needed to have a leg amputated (gangrene) and the cat did very well (one year old) and she adopted him immediately. A very kind, wonderful person always.  Unfortunately, she gave him Revolution when he was newly home and still healing and he had a horrible reaction.  He lost most of the fur in certain parts of the body. I do forget what her vet told her to do but it took many weeks for the fur to grow back in.  Cat was also extremely itchy and she had to give him some kind of medication to stop him from severe scratching.  She felt so guilty but it was a rescue clinic that told her to use it on the cat.  I would have checked the literature, regardless - not that I am so perfect!!  I am reluctant, these days, to use chemicals anyway.

"

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION

Do not use REVOLUTION on sick, weak, or underweight cats. Use only on cats 8 weeks and older. Side effects may include digestive upset and temporary hair loss at application site with possible inflammation. In people, REVOLUTION may be irritating to skin and eyes. Wash hands after use. See full Prescribing Information."

Last edited:

jimmycatlover

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Advantage worked here.  Within 12 hours they were gone and

our two kitties had relief.  Hope you find something.

janet andrea

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The fleas are winning everywhere! 

1)Fleas have grown tolerance to the active ingredients in both Frontline and Advantage.  FOr drops try Advantage Multi, which is prescription,or Revolution.  2)  But foremost , you have to rid your house, bedding and garden (your shoes and socks can carry infesting insects) of eggs, larva and adult pests.  The life cycle of a flea is three days; so you are vacuuming every second day thoroughly, every nook and cranny. you need to wash bedding, theirs and yours, in hot water . you might try food grade diatomaceous to help with the vacuuming - food grade for everyone's health, cats and kids. 3) And get a metal ballpean comb and comb the cats while dipping the tines into very warm water. mine love to be combed this way, and they are not very social.  Chuck the combing detris into the toilet because it will carry eggs, larvea, and sleepy fleas.

We're all in a fight...  

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is the worst season ever!  I've never experienced anything like it.  I've tried both spray and powder carpet treatments, cat topical sprays, Advantage, vacuuming, washing......nothing helps.  The situation is worse than ever and my two cats and I are itching like mad.  When Frontline, Advantage and other treatments aren't working, is it possible it's not fleas, but chiggers and/or oak mites?  Are flea treatments supposed to be effective against those pests too?

I'm wondering because:

---I hike in parks and nature areas a lot

---I live in 2 wooded acres and have tall grasses and prairie wildflowers near the house

---deer pass through frequently

---my cats and I are indoor/outdoor types

---I've pressed duct tape and packaging tape into carpeting and upholstery and examined them with a magnifying glass.  For the past week I haven't seen flea eggs, larvae or debris.......yet I have more itchy bites than ever!   And despite recent Advantage treatments, my cats are still scratching too.  In fact, where one of my cats curled up beside me last evening, that's where I have the most bites.  Over 50 on my left arm and side.  Could not sleep for the itching!

I hate to keep piling on toxic chemicals, but am about to resort to room foggers.  And maybe 40 Mule Team Borax in the carpets, since that seems relatively harmless.  If these don't work we'll have to evacuate the house.  Help!

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Put some white plates filled with soapy water near where your cats spend a lot of time.  Or in the corners of a room they spend time in.  Move them to different corners ever couple days.

This will tell you if it's fleas or not.

Chigger bites don't show up for a few days.  By the time you are itching, the chiggers are long gone.
Topicals work on cats, but, not as advertised.  Takes a few treatments over the course of a couple months to see much improvement, and even then, you might be seeing new current fleas that were picked up a day or so earlier.

If you use Frontline, and give up on it.  Then switch to Advantage the next month.....Neither will ever have a chance to work.  The chemicals are different and you're giving up on them about the time they should be re-applied/strengthened to where they will start to become effective.

I thought the same as you.  Flea tolerance, topicals not working. 
I then isolated my cats away from any fleas and stuck with one topical for two months.   No fleas on cats now.  They were not picking up new ones and the Advantage finally started working.  Just took awhile  (not 24hrs as was advertised).

creekgirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you, Basscat.  I've put plates of soapy water around.  Hopefully this will reveal if fleas are indeed the culprits, rather than chiggers and/or oak mites.

In the meantime, I've found 15-20 more bites on me this morning.  I've dabbed nail polish on every bite, 100 - 200 now, I look like the incredible speckled woman.  Use of nail polish on bites began with the belief that chiggers dug into the skin and stayed there, and nail polish would suffocate them.  Now we know they don't burrow in.  Still I've found that nail polish to be the most effective way to stop itching, for whatever reason it's better than topical antihistamines and calamine lotion combined.  For me, anyway.  Would not recommend for cats.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
THAT many bites, on a people.....sounds like chiggers or seed ticks.