Why do my cat’s eyes look like this?

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently (starting last weekend) i noticed a weird thing in 2 of my cats that stay indoors at night, but hang out outside frequently. These 3 were the best pictures i could take.. it seems their eyelids are covering their vision but they still behave normally and their eyes open completely whenever they’re active outside and running. But once they’re sleeping or not doing anything their eyes turn like that. I have a feral cat that spends most of the time outside that has started to have their eyes looking like this. All my other 21 cats(most outdoor) have normal eyes. The only change in the environment is that it got hotter this past week and that there are a lot of mosquitoes following the rain of last week. What could this be ?
Sorry im in a rush posting this ,

thank you 🙏🏼

Attachments

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's the third eyelid that you're seeing. It's normal when the cat is sleepy or very relaxed. As long as it retracts when the cat is active, there's no need to worry. However, the third eyelid will also show when cats are sick and weak. If this happens all the time when they are fully awake, you should probably take them to the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Thats the confusing part. They’re eating and their behavior is nothing out of the norm. Sometimes they’re outside and their eyes are still like that. But this morning our dryer made weird sounds and both of the cats’ eyes were completely open and they were alert. Sorry about these constant threads im posing it’s just that Im again concerned

thank you so much for the information though :)))))

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
The problem with a third eyelid protrusion is that it can range from sleepiness to something more serious. If I were you, I would at least try to get the pics to the vet, if he will allow you to do that. I have actually never, in all these years, had any third eyelid issues...yes, that could be the luck of the draw, but if these were my cats I would at least want the vet to know that this is happening and to give some input.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem with a third eyelid protrusion is that it can range from sleepiness to something more serious. If I were you, I would at least try to get the pics to the vet, if he will allow you to do that. I have actually never, in all these years, had any third eyelid issues...yes, that could be the luck of the draw, but if these were my cats I would at least want the vet to know that this is happening and to give some input.
They probably sleep more than all my outside cats, and well, I don't know if my parents would be happy with me taking her to the vet. I really want to but after they saw me spend 800 on a kitten that still couldn't live, my mom has this conspiracy theory that vets actually worsen pets conditions. Obviously it's absurd but im really hesitant to go.

The calico cat in the picture, named Bebe, has gotten a little bit sick but still is eating and being playful at times. Except this morning I saw her briefly scooting her butt and left poop stains on the floor. Her coat has been bad for a while now, and I thought it would end because i applied Advantage but she still has very little fur on her butt and stomach and between her legs. I know for sure that she has parasite problems and so I bought Revolution plus from canadavet.com (don't know if i could buy from other places). I still want to take her to the vet but I must get her to the best cat vet in Houston, and so im currently researching that.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
How long after waking do their third eyelids remain visible? I am glad that they come in at night
well they would be outside or in playing and at times their third eyelids still are visible. Only when they're entirely focused on something will their eyes be normal and open

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
I scheduled an appointment for Bebe for next Monday. She has tapeworm and she keeps grooming herself a lot but i barely see any fleas.. what could be some effective at-home treatment for the timebeing?

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Any updates? This has been an early summer for most of us and only the parasites seem to thrive 😢
yes so i took her to the vet today and she did good, I just hope they didn't misdiagnosed her with something else. They said that she had a fever and that they eyes and fur loss was most likely caused by flea allergies, since she had many fleas. I did what i could earlier, applying Advantage monthly (but now i know that Advantage isn't that good anymore). They gave her an antibiotic and another injection, one for the "skin infection" and the other for the "itching". They gave me a syringe to deworm tapeworm. Hopefully i can give it to her today, and that Im also able to get the Revolution here soon. She seems normal like before but i can't trust vets fully since what happened last time

thank you so much from the bottom of my heart. It means a LOT to mean that i get replies :))