Why Do I Like Playing with Yeast?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
There is something so satisfying about yeast dough.
When I play with yeast, I start out with this....
The dough has been kneaded and is ready to rise. I use the Proof cycle in my oven for raising dough.
DoughOne.jpg

And it becomes this.....
After rising for two hours
DoughTwo.jpg

Which becomes this....
Dough has been rolled out, slathered with butter, brown sugar, and cinnamon, and sliced and thrown into the prepared pans. This has raised for one hour.
DoughThree.jpg

And finishes as this....
DoughFour.jpg

Rick has had three sticky buns so far; I admit that I've already eaten two. The circular pan will go to my sister and BIL later this afternoon.
And life is good.

lizzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do too,and I don't know about anyone else but...I am constantly amazed that just by taking a few simple ingredients,you can create something that is so delicious...and once you get the hang of it....time after time!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
I have Rick's mother to thank for my yeast addiction. When I first started trying to knead dough, I'd end up with club hands and a big mess. She'd fix it for me and then I'd continue on. But eventually I got the hang of it. And I was so proud when, one day when we were making sticky buns, she looked at me, gave me a hug and said, "Pam! This is beautiful dough!" I never looked back. That woman is an amazing mother-in-law.

Yes, we'll adopt you! More fun in the kitchen!

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have Rick's mother to thank for my yeast addiction. When I first started trying to knead dough, I'd end up with club hands and a big mess. She'd fix it for me and then I'd continue on. But eventually I got the hang of it. And I was so proud when, one day when we were making sticky buns, she looked at me, gave me a hug and said, "Pam! This is beautiful dough!" I never looked back. That woman is an amazing mother-in-law.

Yes, we'll adopt you! More fun in the kitchen!
You were very fortunate to have her as your teacher. My mom's baking skills are limited to boxed mixes and canned frosting. She made Irish soda bread for St. Patrick's day but that was about it for anything scratch made. Even cookies were made from a boxed cake mix. She just doesn't like to cook.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

Veteran
Purraise
My mom really didn't want anybody in the kitchen, unless it was to act as "gofer". You know, "Go for some potatoes." That kind of thing. I swear, when Rick and I got married, I could burn water. When we lived with his parents after Hurricane Agnes hit our area in 1972, I wasn't used to using an electric stove and I'd forget to turn the burner off. I ruined a beautiful Dutch oven that Rick's mom had had for years. We sat down to dinner one night, only to have a dish towel catch on fire in the kitchen. I had carelessly thrown it on the stove and the residual heat caught it. Rick's dad looked at me that night and said, "Pam, if you're not careful, you're going to burn the house down." I felt terrible. I had a lot to learn. Thankfully, Rick's mom was wonderful throughout it all, although the ruined Dutch oven really hurt. The woman had the patience of a saint.