Why Do Dangerous Things Look Cool?

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tanks, missiles, guns, fighter planes, warships, huge machines, sharks, crocodiles, sports cars, tigers etc etc.
Why do these things look cool to so many of us?
Is it that we are fascinated by power so anything powerful looks good? Would they look cool to an undiscovered tribe with no experience of such things?
Would that tribe think a Lamborghini looks better that a Nissan?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lamborghini, do not want to be near it. It looks like a giant robotic snake.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have zero understanding of car culture, lol. I don't want a Lamborghini. I wouldn't even accept a free Lamborghini (except to sell it). I want a sturdy reliable vehicle that won't get stuck in snow, has a functioning heater and AC, and won't crumple like a soda can in an accident. And gets decent gas mileage.

As for why we like dangerous things, I'm sure somebody has studied that by now. Probably adrenaline from danger feels like attraction in our brains or something. Hmm, now I'm curious, I'm gonna go look that up. . .

Ah, here we go. It's all about the dopamine, and some people have a certain dopamine receptor that makes them enjoy danger. Links to actual studies in text: Why danger is exciting – but only to some people

Last edited:

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
All my life I have had a fascination with machinery. How it works. How it is put together. Why it does what it does. So it was only natural that I got into equipment repair, and did so for over 40 years. To some people, an excavator or bulldozer or front end loader are cool, but to me they were things that could jump up and kill you in a heartbeat, as one guy found out the hard way. Cars? They are interesting from a mechanical viewpoint, but I had my '68 Mustang, and sold it a long time ago, and I choose not to revisit the past. Anything mechanical can be dangerous, especially if the user is careless, or merely an idiot, but we call those people organ donors.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
an excavator or bulldozer or front end loader are cool, but to me they were things that could jump up and kill you in a heartbeat
Thanks. I'll add them to my list of fears. :lol:
Though I don't really get near them very often.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think for the most part it has to do with mankind's "need" for power. And I'm not just talking about a singler person wanting to rule the world type power. Power is more than that. Power means strength, advancement, prosperity, search for knowledge... Because even those who would not put themselves in dangerous situations to give themselves an adrenaline rush can still appreciate the "cool and dangerous things". I am a chicken poop, I would never seek out a dangerous situation, BUT, I do like sharks and crocs, I find there is beauty in their power. I am fascinated with what our weather can do, as destructive as it can be, I'm still amazed at the power that natural disasters can do. As for man made things, tanks/cars/guns etc...that is most definitely still power, even if you are simply interested in the mechanics of a machine, there is still an element of power behind wanting to know how they work. Say you have an AK, a machine made for killing, for war...why do you have one? For target practice? Why do you like to shoot an AK? Because it's powerful. Some of our man made machines I think also have to do with status (think Lamborghini) , but in a nut shell, what is at the root of "status"? Power.

As for if an undiscovered tribe would think the lambo is cooler than the Nissan. I don't know. The lambo has more details, more curves, it stands out. So I would think they may think that it is more "something", but don't know if that would translate to "cool", probably more fear or fascination than anything. But TBH, they would probably react the same way to any mechanical or technological man made product.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I believe the most dangerous device ever created is the computer. Consider how many lives and reputations have been ruined by some nameless, faceless person at a computer keyboard. That is real power.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, I believe the most dangerous device ever created is the computer. Consider how many lives and reputations have been ruined by some nameless, faceless person at a computer keyboard. That is real power.
Exactly, and how much time and effort has been put into computers and technology. And how many people have, want, use, work with etc...computers? A computer gives you more power.