Why do cats sometimes look more floofy and then suddenly look more slick?

mxphs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Exactly the title subject.

Sometimes Humphrey looks so fluffy and his fur puffs out and its so cute. Then some days its more slick (not oily but just not as puffed out and floofy) and it makes him look less pudgy? Anyone else sees this difference in their cat? It's pretty minute and nuanced but just wanted to ask

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My littlest one manages to go from Cute to Killer cat in a second!
A1B64758-A1AB-445D-8200-65DB72D00B25.jpeg
4A06C2C6-75AF-4F93-BD98-2CE32C586C81.jpeg

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Their fur fluffs up when they're feelin' uppity.

Scared, playful, peeved off or just plain got the zips...fur stands on end and makes them look bigger and more fierce...and, sometimes, cute.

When they're calm and quiet and feelin' normal, their fur goes back down.

It's a good sign to tell when a cat is playful, calm or even trying to tell you to back off before they let you have it.

treeclimber

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Assuming you’re not referring to fluffed fur as a behavioral reaction to something (more like changes in general appearance over hours/days) I think some of it may have something to do with how long it’s been since their last give-it-their-all-groom-every-hair bath.

When my boy has recently given himself that kind of bath, he is quite fluffy. When it’s been a little while his fur lays down more and looks sleeker - not oily, just not quite as fresh and clean. His favorite places to groom like the sides of his shoulders are usually fluffy, while other less-frequently-groomed places like his back seem to get sleek/smooth more often.

Some of it may also be a temperature thing - I think he gets a bit fluffier when the apartment is cold, and a bit less so after I turn up the heat.

Last edited:

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
When ever my cat Maggie startles peaches her tail poofs out big
Maggie's 9 yrs old so she can't do that anymore
2015-07-24 001 001.JPG