Why do cats run to their food source after waking from a dream?

tutubean

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've only owned one cat before. She was about 8 years old when we adopted her and she passed when she was 15. Right now I'm fostering an elderly 17 year old.

With both cats, they often wake from a dream appearing startled and confused, looking around the room and at me, then practically run to their food.

Were they dreaming about hunting? My cat was semi-feral whens he was adopted, but my foster cat is strictly indoors.

In both cases they lived part or most of their lives somewhere other than with me, so sometimes I wonder if it's that, that they expect to be somewhere else.

Thoughts?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've had 6 or 8 cats I think, and it never occurred to me I might be witnessing a dream, much less consequences in the waking world. Sure, they might twitch a bit in their sleep but I don't know what that proves!

:chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat::chessirecat:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it might be an orientation thing. Wake up startled and then need to do a tour to make sure everything, including food is as it should be. You will often see cats do this after a vet visit.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Feeby always runs right to her food bowl after a vet visit - just like susanm9006 susanm9006 mentioned. I consider this consolation eating. It could be that your cat was unsettled by something during his sleep, wakes up, and goes to eat as a consolation for whatever bothered him.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If it's a consolation thing, then my cats must have nightmares multiple times a day 😬
That being the case, I think s/he is just hungry after the nap(s). You don't know the background of this cat, so that certainly could have an impact on how s/he views food. It might not be from nightmares, but just from waking, being older and needing to get acclimated to waking up, and then wanting to know s/he has food to eat. If nothing else 'weird' is going on, consider it his/her norm - just like it must have been with your girl that passed (RIP little one).