Why do cats like fish?

nuser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do most if not all cats like fish? It isn't a common part of a cat's diet in the wild, so how did cats start to like fish? Do feral cats ever catch fish from streams or ponds? Are there cats that don't like fish? My guess for why cats tend to enjoy fish is its strong smell, like liver. Cats like foods with a strong organic, and oily odor, so naturally they like to eat fish.

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think if fish were easier to catch or lets say live out of the water, they'd be very much part of a cat's diet in the wild. 

penofdl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When I was little, my grandmother had a bunch of cats on her farm, and there was a creek that ran through the backyard. Her cats would, especially during spawning season when there were a lot of fish in the creek at once, sit on the shore at the edge of the water and whenever a fish got close enough to them, they would reach out and smack it out of the water onto the land so that they could devour its tiny little body.

Her cats were a really weird mix of feral and not, in that they had been raised indoors until they were four or five months of age, but also had a pretty decent grouping (she had around 20 cats at any one time on a 25 acre farm) to teach them survival and full run of the property.