why do cats do the silent meow and what does it mean?

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So they are all silent meows to you? 🤦‍♂️

(I don't mean to offend but it seemed like something you were already willing to joke about.)
Pretty much! :lol:

My cats have probably figured out, just like my family, to talk/meow louder. One of these feline rascals got my hearing aids out of the charger one night..I found them in pieces on the floor the next morning. Cats and hearing aids...:nono:

No offence taken. :wave3:

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
My first cat, Fred, introduced me to the silent meow. He used to hang out on top of the hot water system, outside a window. I would meow at him and he would meow back, although I couldn't hear through the window. So I started to just make the meow mouth movement without sound, and he still meowed back. So I opened the window and discovered he was silent meowing back at me. Maybe because he couldn't hear me and thought I was silent meowing him? I'll never know.. it was sixty years ago. :lol:

OopsyDaisy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My first cat, Fred, introduced me to the silent meow. He used to hang out on top of the hot water system, outside a window. I would meow at him and he would meow back, although I couldn't hear through the window. So I started to just make the meow mouth movement without sound, and he still meowed back. So I opened the window and discovered he was silent meowing back at me. Maybe because he couldn't hear me and thought I was silent meowing him? I'll never know.. it was sixty years ago. :lol:
That's so cute! I caught my husband and our old cat Gulliver doing that through the window once. I laughed so hard.