why do cats do the silent meow and what does it mean?

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Betty has a silent meow among her vast vocabulary of mews, meows, chirps, squeaks, trills, grunts,… When they say cats can make over 100 vocalizations, I’m sure I’ve already heard half of those from her.

Her silent meows always make me laugh. I tell her, “Betty, you’re on mute. Turn your mic on.” 😹

At least with Betty, I interpret it as a contented vocalization like, “I want you tell you I’m content. But I don’t want you to think I need anything.” 😻 Or it’s a flirting meow. 😽

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
When Carleton looks right at me and does his silent meow it means he wants attention. It's as if he's trying to say, "look at me," but without vocalizing it. 😸

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
My Betty has a silent meow among her vast vocabulary of mews, meows, chirps, squeaks, trills, grunts,… When they say cats can make over 100 vocalizations, I’m sure I’ve already heard half of those from her.

Her silent meows always make me laugh. I tell her, “Betty, you’re on mute. Turn your mic on.” 😹

At least with Betty, I interpret it as a contented vocalization like, “I want you tell you I’m content. But I don’t want you to think I need anything.” 😻 Or it’s a flirting meow. 😽
Such beautiful eyes.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My cats do the silent meow when they're sleepy and very relaxed. Lila does a silent meow when she's mad, it's like she's really mad but she isn't brave enough to be loud about it, it's really cute!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn't it cool how sometimes you just "know" they're the ones for you?
Even eighteen months on after Krista’s passing, I wasn’t sure I was ready for a new cat. And the shelter still wasn’t open due to Covid. I was about 70/30 sold on her when I first saw her on the website. Over the course of several days, that crept up to, “I’m going to be heartbroken if someone else adopts her.” I had to meet her through the holes in her carrier because they wouldn’t let me in the shelter. It was a cold morning and she was shy. But I had a good feeling about her anyway. Although she was receptive to scritches right away, she was shy and needed some alone time to adjust. It was odd not meeting the cat I brought home until almost half a day after bringing her inside. By nightfall she was getting curious and by bedtime, she picked her pit to sit in and she’s been bonded to me every night since.😽🥰 It took her three months to sit in my lap though. 🤷🏼‍♂️😹

MohnJadden

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Taters does this to us all the time! She'll do a little squeak but no sound comes out, just a little click or crackle. She starts out with a meowish squeak and then after two or three of those, the crackles start. She's been like that all her life.

It always occurs when we're giving her love and pets, so we interpreted it to mean "carry on, I approve" or otherwise.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most cats communicate with Feline High Command when we are distracted or sleeping, but some have developed advanced techniques such as the silent meow. You may be living with a high ranking feline officer, or perhaps a scout. Or perhaps this is more of a Hodor thing.