Why did the turkeys cross the road?

butzie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why, to get to the reservoir! They left the synagogue grounds, probably praying that no one would hit them as they crossed the road to get to the lovely reservoir/open space on the other side. Seriously, we have an overpopulation of wild turkeys here. You can't harm them but to some people whose yards they overrun the turkeys are looking more and more like dinner. Maybe Ben Franklin was right and we should have made the turkey the national bird. They adapted quite well to suburbia and we can't, um, prepare the wild ones here for Thanksgiving.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We have wild turkeys near us as well (we live in a semi-urban/suburban area). Just last week a tom was walking up our street, checking out people's yards and driveways! We got a real kick out of it; we'd seen them on the side of the road before, but never so close to our house.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a huge flock close to my house. This winter I would see them all the time. And they made an apperance at the bird feeder-not what one wants. There were 27 of them.
Our propert up north has/had a flock of 30-40. But it is/was turkey hunting season and some of our nephews went hunting.

These birds can do some serious damage to an automobile. Ten years ago one hardly ever saw them but now I see them most days.

The Wisconsin DNR website has some good turkey information-one being don't feed them!

abbycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If your a turkey hunter it's hunting season for jakes and Toms. I went turkey hunting once and couldn't kill one. I am not a hunter. We have an overpopulation of them here also.