Why are my cats eating the ants?

alexis keefe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why do my cats continue to eat the ants that they find around the house? Can this be harmful to them? What if the ant that they eat has eaten poison from an ant trap, can this harm the cat?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

alexis keefe

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please doesn't anyone have anything to say about this!? No thoughts, advise or insights! :rub: :Daisy:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Cats love catching bugs, there really isn't anything you can do to stop this. By themselves, bugs aren't an issue, but I would be concerned about the poison from the ant traps. If your cat got into one of the traps, this could amount to something serious... it is poison, after all. Maybe try making an ant trap with honey and fly paper. Hopefully other posters will have some ideas too!

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
An ant that has consumed poison would almost certainly have died more or less instantly while still inside the trap wouldn't it?

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My 18 month old eats flies (live ones), skinks, lizzards, spiders and on one occasions some kind of wierd dragonfly wasp looking thing with long black tendrils sticking out.
Yes I too freaked out and spent the afternoon googling if there gonna die. Not dead yet so I guess it's ok.
If they're throw up or convulse, worry, outside of that? Best advise? You have a cat. Cats are wierd.