Why Are My Brand New Towels Turning Blue?

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

I use these towels twice a day, once in the morning after I wash my face, and once at night when I dry my face again.

That's it.

The towel above is brand new from a packet, and only a few days old. Haven't washed it yet. Any idea why it's turning blue?

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
eek. The only thing I can think of is that something new blue and wet was hung over it. Otherwise I'd give the company a call. Unless you die your hair blue- I can't think of anything that would cause this.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you run them through the wash before you used them? Could it be some of whatever the chemical they treat fabric with that sort of smells is. (the smell is most noticeable in the clothing section when the new season's clothes arrive. I like it but a lot of people hate it.)

Have you tried running the towels through the wash several times?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe your face cleaner or soap is leaving a residue on the towel? Or reacting with something in the towel. Did you wash the towel before using it?

bodester413

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's weird. Maybe something in the water? It looks like the towel only turned blue where it got wet from drying your face.

kuanggol

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I experienced something similar back when I used medicated face wash to treat acne and it discolored my towel.

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would think that it's probably a chemical in the towel fabric or possibly some blue dye (to make the white seem more white) that is now noticeable because you did not wash them first.
Also, although you did say you only use it for your face, it could be bleeding dye from a new pair of jeans or anything black from your skin to the towel. Dye transfer from new clothing can be really bad.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's probably bluing to make the towels look whiter on the shelf. If they still do it after washing let us know!

I have a new pair of black jeans that's turning everything else I own gray :/. I keep thinking that they won't bleed any more but that's entirely too optimistic.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

saleri

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Did you run them through the wash before you used them? Could it be some of whatever the chemical they treat fabric with that sort of smells is. (the smell is most noticeable in the clothing section when the new season's clothes arrive. I like it but a lot of people hate it.)

Have you tried running the towels through the wash several times?
No, this towel is brand new, just out of package three days ago. I may just wash them.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's bluing added to make them whiter and brighter. Many years ago they actually sold bluing that could be added to a load of whites. That brightener is now in detergents and all fabric bleaches that aren't natural or for sensitive skin, that is why most of them are blue. It doesn't look like they rinsed them very well at the factory so it probably is a good idea to go ahead and wash them.

marmoset

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's bluing added to make them whiter and brighter. Many years ago they actually sold bluing that could be added to a load of whites. That brightener is now in detergents and all fabric bleaches that aren't natural or for sensitive skin, that is why most of them are blue. It doesn't look like they rinsed them very well at the factory so it probably is a good idea to go ahead and wash them.
Good to know! We don't get white towels so had no idea lol.

Mother Dragon

Cat slave
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's probably bluing to make the towels look whiter on the shelf. If they still do it after washing let us know!

I have a new pair of black jeans that's turning everything else I own gray :/. I keep thinking that they won't bleed any more but that's entirely too optimistic.
Try soaking your jeans in a solution of salt and vinegar. Lots of each, left overnight and then washed separately. That usually sets the color.