Why are dogs considered loyal?

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a thought yesterday. Why are dogs considered loyal but not cats? I think cats are significantly more loyal than dogs. Dogs are known to be friendly with everyone and indiscriminate in who they love. You have to earn the trust of cats and when you do you are theirs. I think of loyalty as sticking with someone, trusting them deeply, and always choosing them. I'm not saying dogs aren't loyal to some extent but I know that my cats will always choose me over anyone else because I've shown them that I won't give up on them.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because dogs are pack animals but cats are usually solitary.

Dogs want to look up to a leader and they see their humans as leaders. I don't really believe in the "Alpha Dog" theory. That theory was proposed in the 1930's and it's been, pretty much, debunked.

Cats, on the other hand, tend to seek their own fortunes. They hunt, mostly, for themselves and, unless they form a social group, are often happy to be on their own.

That's not to say that cats don't look up to their humans as providers and companions. They just don't compartmentalize their humans the way dogs do. Cats see their humans as a big, funny-looking cat.

Dogs find stability in being part of a group while cats think that stability means a good place to sleep and a steady supply of food.

If you are the one who provides that stability, your cat will be loyal to you.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Speaking as "the one" who was not liked by the house cats, I can totally understand why people say dogs are more loyal. Pretty much doesn't matter who you are, dogs will like you. Cats, on the other hand, will decide whether or not to like you and if they don't, you are nothing to them. :lol: My husband is currently getting a taste of what happened to me for 16 long years. Boone and Gracie love me and are pretty much indifferent to him. It is driving him nuts!! He calls them, they ignore him. He picks them up and they try every which way to Sunday to escape. They want nothing to do with him.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah, I can relate to that! My husband looks over and I have THREE cats on my lap, he just doesn't understand......
He is the only one in the house who they don't like. They will even let my boys pick them up and will sit on their laps but Mommy is always their favorite. I just hope it lasts. It will be crushing if they decide I'm not "the one" anymore. 😭

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Just like the people who say cats are sneaky, aloof and independent people who have never lived with a dog cannot understand the true joy they bring day in and day out. Whether or not you call it loyalty they are dedicated and devoted to their family. Cats and dogs have so many different and unique qualities that it's difficult to compare one to the other. I love and adore cats but have also appreciated the endearment of sharing our home with a dog. :hearthrob:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think many tend to conflate dependence with loyalty.

It also depends on the dog breed. Huskies will feed you to the wolves, lol. Retrievers love everybody. A German Shepherd, though, will die for their family and kill everybody else, if that's what their owner wants.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've lived with dog's and cats it's could be because it takes a cat longer to come around to people. Every dog I've had has been loyal but to the all family even if they had a favourite. But not every cat. I've had cat's that have had two homes. I've had cats that have acted like dogs even protecting family, The cat I have now is insanely loyal to me only sits on my knees comes to me before anyone else. I think they both can be loyal just show it differently.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think it has to do with dogs need to be with their humans as much as possible and pretty much show their love in big, easy to see ways. Cats need their me-time and show their love in quieter ways. Many don't realize that a cat sleeping in your presence is love and trust. A cat who doesn't trust you will hide to sleep to protect themselves. I've had both dogs and cats I love both in different ways, just like people love their spouse and children in different ways.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it has to do with dogs need to be with their humans as much as possible and pretty much show their love in big, easy to see ways. Cats need their me-time and show their love in quieter ways. Many don't realize that a cat sleeping in your presence is love and trust. A cat who doesn't trust you will hide to sleep to protect themselves. I've had both dogs and cats I love both in different ways, just like people love their spouse and children in different ways.
Yeah maybe that's why I see cats as more loyal than dogs. I'm a true introvert, very cat-like, but I also consider myself very loyal to the people who matter to me. But I also had Labradors growing up (including the best dog to ever exist, Lucy) who were loyal and protective in their own way despite being in love with everyone.