Why Are Black Cats Considered BAD LUCK?

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black cats are NOT the witch's cats. It's the GRAY cat! Specifically, a "grimalkin" cat.

Grimalkins are mentioned in a few major works of literature throughout history.

"Beware the Cat" by William Baldwin, published in 1570, is a story about talking cats. This is, probably, one of the first major mentions of evil cats in popular literature. The main cat in in the story was a grimalkin.

A grimalkin appears in Hawthorne's "House of the Seven Gables" where the gray cat, chasing a mouse is compared to the devil chasing a person's soul. Hey! This is Salem, Massachusetts we're talking about, here! The home of the Witch Trials! If a gray can from Salem was the devil, it must be true! Right? ;)

Finally, we have the granddaddy of them all... Macbeth!
It was a grimalkin cat, specifically written by Shakespeare, that was the familiar of the three "Weird Sisters." (AKA: witches.)
If it was good enough for The Bard, it's good enough for me.

It is also a legend that Nostradamus had a cat named "Grimalkin."

If you don't believe me, check Wikipedia. Everything I just said is spelled out, right there:

Bottom line: Anybody who thinks a black cat is a witch's cat didn't read the literature and they are simply shooting their mouths off, spouting drivel as if it was truth.

Wasn't it Groucho Marx who said, "A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere."

The man speaks wise words! :D