Why Are Black Cats Considered BAD LUCK?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Black is associated with darkness and evil. In the 17th century, black cats roaming at night were thought to be witches using them to travel more secretly. Black is also tied to funerals and if a black cat crossed your path it meant bad luck or early death. Of course, none of this is true, but the myths persist even today. Passed on for generations. My mother in law truly believes she saw a cat sucking the breath out of a baby, no matter how many times I tell her it was more likely attracted to the milk on the baby's breath and was sniffing very close.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know I'm in the UK as a kid I had heard people say it was bad luck to cross a black cat's path. And the so called witches cat. But I've always loved them, as a kid my friends black cat was called Lucky and now I have one of my own I feel extremely Lucky to have him. I think that now they are considered lucky people aren't superstitious like they used to be.

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know I'm in the UK as a kid I had heard people say it was bad luck to cross a black cat's path. And the so called witches cat. But I've always loved them, as a kid my friends black cat was called Lucky and now I have one of my own I feel extremely Lucky to have him. I think that now they are considered lucky people aren't superstitious like they used to be.
I think that superstition here was an older one, maybe more common in the past. Nowadays American culture has taken up much of our traditional Hallows Eve and probably thus also the idea that black cats are unlucky. I too was told that they were unlucky growing up and I know the local shelters and the RSPCA here advise black cat owners to keep them safe on Halloween.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that superstition here was an older one, maybe more common in the past. Nowadays American culture has taken up much of our traditional Hallows Eve and probably thus also the idea that black cats are unlucky. I too was told that they were unlucky growing up and I know the local shelters and the RSPCA here advise black cat owners to keep them safe on Halloween.
Definitely a very old one. I had no idea that the RSPCA gave that warning you would think in this day and age all that superstitious nonsense would be gone.

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Definitely a very old one. I had no idea that the RSPCA gave that warning you would think in this day and age all that superstitious nonsense would be gone.
Some shelters won't adopt out black cats during all of October because some people will "adopt" them to go with their costume them abandon or return them.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Three black cats here. I don't have to worry about Sopdet ever faling prey to someone ever again because when anyone else comes through the yard that cat can run so fast she can make it to Washington DC from St Louis MO in 10 seconds. haha Shadow likes to lay in wet grass (she's a longhair) and Gypsy is the elusive one and hangs out with a raccoon. Yep no joke.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some shelters won't adopt out black cats during all of October because some people will "adopt" them to go with their costume them abandon or return them.
Wow that's awful our family always laughed at the old superstions. I can't imagine anyone doing this returning the cat after using it I'm shocked.

MonaLyssa33

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't use to be a fan of black cats because I felt their coat color was kind of boring (stupid I know), but then my family got our first black cat, Kirby, who is the absolute sweetest cat to ever exist and my opinion quickly changed. I love black cats now. Remy is my long-haired black cat and while he can be a brat, I adore him. I firmly believe that once you have a black cat, you will never want any other kind.