Wholesale Cat Litter?

abba56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With 14 cats in my home and 8, sometimes up to 10 large litter boxes running at a time, I tend to go through a lot of litter. I am paying $11 currently for a 40lb tub. I have been searching the internet for a bulk supplier that, I would assume, sell it a bit cheaper.
I thought we had found a possible solution with "Pet Supply Plus", they advertise clumping litter in bulk for just 14 cents a lb. But come to find out, what the do is have a large barrel with "clumping litter" advertised clearly on the barrel which is actually just any litter where the bags have broken open on shipment to the store. Since most clumping litter comes in plastic pails or hard boxes, that doesn't happen often and what is mostly in their barrel is just non-clumping clay litter. If that is what I wanted I could buy it cheaper at Wal-Mart.
There must be some place that will sell it wholesale, assuming I am willing to buy a large enough quantity. I live in Indiana and would like to find a place that would ship it directly to me. I could buy 1000 lbs even 2000 lbs at a time if necessary.
I have tried other types of cheaper bedding but my furry people just won't use it. (they had a great time with the pine bedding, they seemed to think it was a new type of toy, I had litter all over the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
Goodness, how on earth will you be able to store a short ton (2000lbs) of litter? I hope you have a shed or barn.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abba56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
LOL... storage is not a major issue, although Ideally I would be able to just get 1000 lbs... I could find room for up to 2000 lbs if that is what I had to buy to get a wholesale price. It's not as is if cat litter will spoil. Just have to keep it dry.

catsallaround

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My best luck has been coupon deals-currently petsmart had buy 20$ worth and get 5$ off coupons on the shelf/taped to bags/boxes of litter that worked out well.

I also started using pine horse pellets from tractor supply. 6$ for 40 lbs. currently have over 1000 lbs of litter in my storage area...also have 33 cats-30 in house fulltime tho.

Do you have any brand preferances or are you open to anything?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

abba56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
no brand preferances at all. Currently I buy whatever I can find on sale that is cheap or that I can find coupons for.
I clean litter boxes weekly and currently go through about 50-75 lbs a week. I have tried several alternatives to clumping litter, never had much luck with anything. God only knows how my critters became soooo darn spoiled and picky. I'm sure it not because of me, must have been my husband. LOL
All I'm really concerned about is that it clumps relatively well.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have found that as long as you scoop daily (or at least every other day) and keep the boxes themselves clean (you can transfer the litter to a clean box now and then), you really don't need to change clumping litter very often. I can usually get 2-4 months out of it before it stops clumping and starts smelling. The guy who invented clumping litter never fully changed his litterbox for his cat's entire 16-year lifespan.

You can certainly get more than a week out of clumping litter. . .give it a try!

As for bulk buying, check with a locally-owned feed store/pet store. They may be willing to sell you a pallet for just above their cost.

kittymom4

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've often wondered this myself. I used the Tidy Cat blue and a local store puts it on sale 10.99 for a 40lb box every so often and I take the opportunity to stock the house!! I've been too embarrassed to asked if I bought a certain amount if they would give me an extra discount.

dextradl

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just found this site. Not sure if its clumping litter, I am looking into that now. But you can literally get a ton of it :)

reikitty

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Maybe talk to a feed store or smaller mom and pop store thats locally owned. Maybe they'll let you order through them at their rates or maybe just a little mark up? Worth a shot!

kory d stone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
With 14 cats in my home and 8, sometimes up to 10 large litter boxes running at a time, I tend to go through a lot of litter. I am paying $11 currently for a 40lb tub. I have been searching the internet for a bulk supplier that, I would assume, sell it a bit cheaper.
I thought we had found a possible solution with "Pet Supply Plus", they advertise clumping litter in bulk for just 14 cents a lb. But come to find out, what the do is have a large barrel with "clumping litter" advertised clearly on the barrel which is actually just any litter where the bags have broken open on shipment to the store. Since most clumping litter comes in plastic pails or hard boxes, that doesn't happen often and what is mostly in their barrel is just non-clumping clay litter. If that is what I wanted I could buy it cheaper at Wal-Mart.
There must be some place that will sell it wholesale, assuming I am willing to buy a large enough quantity. I live in Indiana and would like to find a place that would ship it directly to me. I could buy 1000 lbs even 2000 lbs at a time if necessary.
I have tried other types of cheaper bedding but my furry people just won't use it. (they had a great time with the pine bedding, they seemed to think it was a new type of toy, I had litter all over the house.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
I am a breeder and I have been trying to find a solution to the outrageous cost of supplying litter for my babies as well. I think I could store up to 1,000lbs but I am not really good at estimating that kind of thing. I have Sphynx and Devon Rex and both (but especially the Sphynx) tend to eat more and drink more which means more waste I only have 7 cats (not many for a breeder) yet I can easily go through 40-55lbs a week.I can get 40lbs for approx $10.00 even at that cost it is hard for me to afford. So any info on wholesale pet suppliers would be greatly appreciated.

spiffykitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that your best bet are mom and pop stores. For a small store, what you buy would be considered a big purchase.

Wholesale prices usually apply when a manufacturer is selling to a distributor or a distributor is selling to a retail store.  

Cost of shipment for such a heavy, bulky item is a problem. If you were willing to pick it up, you'd get a better deal.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've often wondered this myself. I used the Tidy Cat blue and a local store puts it on sale 10.99 for a 40lb box every so often and I take the opportunity to stock the house!! I've been too embarrassed to asked if I bought a certain amount if they would give me an extra discount.
Don't be embarrassed. I'm sure other people ask the same question. What's the worst that can happen? They'll say no. But they may say of course.

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How on earth do you get all that home? I don't order anywhere as much as you do but thank goodness they deliver. For free.
I can't drive. Blush!

kory d stone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

I agree that your best bet are mom and pop stores. For a small store, what you buy would be considered a big purchase.

Wholesale prices usually apply when a manufacturer is selling to a distributor or a distributor is selling to a retail store.  

Cost of shipment for such a heavy, bulky item is a problem. If you were willing to pick it up, you'd get a better deal.
Thanks I appreciate your input! 

sal marciano

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't know how long ago this post has been running, but I have recently been looking for bulk cat litter.   Here are the best options.

Rural/Farm Supply places will have the best price.  I know you want bulk, so ask them if you can receive a discount on a pallet.  It's best to find places local within 25-50 miles to avoid shipping costs.

They also have good bulk dry cat/dog foods made in the U.S. that helps take the pinch off of fostering multiple cats, as well as medicines.

TractorSupply.com  may have a location near you.  This is where I get mine.  Currently they have tidy cat 40lbs scoop for $9.99.  I went with the Paws and Claws 14lbs scoop for $3, and got 10. :)

Rural King  also may have a store near you.

You can also google farm supply and follow links there, not all will carry cat liter/pet supplies, but the majority do.

chocolatesmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 Place in El Paso  called Pets Barn/Valley Feed sells 60 lb bags of clumping litter for 8.99.  When they put it on sale it's 6.99. Best deal I've found. Occasionally a problem (shortage) with them having it in stock last summer so I tend to buy 3-4 at a time for my 3 cats. 

patchesaz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Costco sell Litter Perfect in 35lb plastic containers.  It is currently only 7.99 each.  Best price I have found in the Phoenix area.  It is clumping and works great for multi-cat households.

swoods98

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Go onto Alibaba.com you can order anywhere from a ton to 500 tons for $150/ton of clumping cat litter.

tana danner

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
All I seen was anywhere from 10 to 25 ton minimum order... What individual would or even could buy that much??