Whole litter sickness concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
bear bear This kitten is maybe 6 weeks old. She was previously eating wet food on her own and was thriving until a few days ago. She has no appetite and won't eat on her own. So until she does I have to syringe feed her. She is still walking on her own. She not too long ago got up from where she was lying down at to take a walk to the litter box. She seems for the moment to be doing better

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh... I just called the vet and they are closed already. Anyhow, magic kitten vomited a small amount of milk. It wasn't all of what she was given but I wanted to know if I should be considered?

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The antibiotics might be upsetting her tummy, especially if one of them is metronidazole. Perhaps smaller amounts of formula at more frequent intervals will help. I would add some Pedialyte or keep up with small amounts of syrup/honey on the gums & Pedialyte. Bless you for not giving up! Prayers & vibes continuing - I could hardly wait for my lunch so I could check for updates. :grouphug: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :angel: :cheerleader: :grouphug2:

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is still with me and I couldn't be more excited! I suppose the metronidazole could of upset her stomach. It was such a small dose though. Only .05 ml. She is still sleeping a lot but I am hopeful.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
My goodness! She really doesn't want to eat. Just getting one 3 ml syringe in her has been a struggle. She fights it and squirms a lot. I am going to have to feed her less but at more intervals. Should I put sugar on her gums before every feeding?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that her meds may upset her tummy. I honestly would not use the pre-mixed formula. With the powdered, you can mix it with pedialyte instead of water.

She will not have her normal appetite back right away. Give small amounts. She will take more as she begins to feel better, but that may take a few days. I seriously doubt you’ll get anywhere near 128mLs in her right now. Any nutrition she will take will help.

Pick up a few jars of Gerber chicken or turkey meat baby food. Kittens usually love it. She can lick it from a spoon, but it will also go through a syringe.

Make sure she has a little food in her before you give her meds.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow. I am so glad that you just told me that there is no way I would get 128mls into her today. I have only gotten her to eat 6 maybe 7 ml so far. She is currently laying down and taking another little nap. Earlier she went for a walk and then sat for a good while in the same spot near the food bowls. Then she had a burst of energy and ran towards the door in an attempt to go outside. Probably wants to see her mama. I suppose she may also be lonely because she has always been surrounded by her siblings. It is 10 minutes after 8pm here in Jersey. In another hour I will see if I can give her some more food. I will also at that time give her the amoxicillin. Dr. Mike wanted her to have it for any secondary things that may be going on with her. Tomorrow I will buy her the powder instead of giving her this premixed formula. I like the idea of being able to mix it with the pedialyte. The baby food is also on my agenda.
I don't know what I expected from the events of today other then that I didn't want magic to die. I must admit I am a bit discouraged because she is showing no improvement yet. She is basically the same as she has been. The only exception is now she has a bit of food in her belly. Maybe tomorrow there will be some improvement. I will continue to love her and nurture her and hopefully her outcome will be a great one.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I think you can let her see her mom. If you could bring mom inside for a bit she may want to lick her kitten and sit with her.

I am glad you plan to get the powder and Gerber. I think you need to focus on the fact that she is not getting worse. This is going to take time as sick as she and her siblings were. She’s a little trooper!

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would love to bring mom in the house. However, I have 7 indoor cats that would not appreciate her being in here. With everything I have going on currently, a cat fight isn't ideal. Not that ny cats would attack her, but that she would attack them. I have seen her in action when she doesn't want another cat near her.
Little magic seems to be stable so for the moment I am relaxing. It feels like it has been such a long day. Well...it HAS been a long day lol.
She is moving around more, but still doesn't do very much. She went for a walk of about 10 feet and just sat there for a good while.
I find myself every once in a while disturbing her to make sure she is okay and can still stand and walk on her own. The other kittens went so quickly from being okay to not okay that I jist need to be sure.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am just guessing that the thing the vet checked for that starts with a C is Coccidea? That takes a toll on kittens but with the ones I had the poop was awful. Once medicated, they did survive but some took longer and struggled more than others. You have done an amazing job giving such devoted care and love during all this. It’s not an easy thing but you didn’t give up and the kitties always feel the comfort of the love given. Always. I have worked with many ferals of all ages and you provided the best thing we can ever give, love. When nothing else works, sometimes that brings them through. I have you and magic and the mom as well as all others there in my thoughts and heart. Never give up. You have my greatest admiration for holding onto hope. That is magic too.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh.. I am so sleepy. Before I attempt to get a few hours of sleep I needed to see what you guys thought. Magic has been walking away. I take my eyes off of her for a few moments and she isn't on her bed any longer. She doesn't go far but she seems to be trying to isolate. I also kinda think she is just moving around just to move around which I want to support aince she was literally laid up for a full 24 hours. I don't wanna lock her up for the night but maybe I should? I also am scared that if I don't keep doing as I have done so far she will die.
So here is my real question. Do I get up every 3 hours and try to feed her formula or pedialyte. Or both? Again, I want to thank you in advance for any advice.

Joelle and the kittens

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would keep her in a kennel in your room if possible and continue to feed her formula mixed with pedialyte every few hours. Keep her warm, too. I agree with everyone that it sounds like panleuk hit the litter :( Are all your indoor cats vaccinated? You definitely don't want to be exposing even adults to that disease.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
All my indoor cats are vaccinated and spayed/ neutered. I agree about keeping her in a kennel. She once again walked away. I need to be able to find her when it comes time to eat/drink.
She is warm. I have a cat bed with a heating pad covered with my coziest robe. And she is laying in there as I type this. I will continue to update this thread throughout the night.

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know you are exhausted but I agree that you need to keep up the fluids and feeding attempts. Is she going potty? She may be walking around just thinking about that if she has gotten hydrated enough to get things going. Also, just a place to sleep uninterrupted. If I could send you both energy for the night… :vibes::heartshape:it’s coming!

bear

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Is it possible that a small stuffed toy in her kennel might help her not miss the other kittens and mom?
It might also help keep her warm if she wants it to, or move away to get cooler.
I would not consider this high priority.

Last edited: