Whole litter sickness concern.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's hard to go back to sleep knowing what is going on. I wish this wasn't happening.....I have one kitten left that I actually is acting almost normal while the other two are crying and jerking around a little bit. I hope they aren't suffering.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sigh.....Sadly, two more of the kittens passed away. Just one kitten left that is not currently showing signs of illness more than lathergy. She accepts her water but still has no appetite. Hopefully this supportive care will save her. 😔

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Often, gentle strokes and laying on your chest helps give them the strength to muster on. I take a warm, damp cloth and clean their bottoms, ears and faces, too; sometimes the bottom of their paws - it seems to encourage them greatly. Also, if they have a ticking clock tucked under a stuffed toy, they get additional comfort. If you have acidophilus on hand, you can try adding that.
frankie the cat frankie the cat

Yes, this would also be my suggestion. Its a sort of massage, and reminds some of mothers licking.
So massage....

Can you get raw goats milk? its no remedy for everything, but sometimes it helps pull through.
Its pedialyte at this moment. Because the danger is high their digestion has stopped. But pedialyte does contain some glucose sugar, so they will live on this even several days....

But raw goats milk could be the first extra you try with if they get any better. If you cant get raw goats milk so some kmr based on goats milk.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good morning from New Jersey. This morning I have one remaining kitten. She doesn't seem as weak as she was because she is able to fight with me to keep me from giving her fluids and antibiotics. She is also walking around a tiny bit. She isn't just sitting in one spot any more. So there is that small miracle.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I am so sorry you lost the others. RIP sweet
babies! :angel: :rbheart:

It definitely sounds like panleukopenia. It’s very contagious.

The vet will likely give fluids. Let us know how it goes!

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Brief update. The last kitten has been walking around. Not running or jumping or anything that takes a lot of energy. Just a little walk here and there. She was meowing to go outside and Iet her. She didn't go to hwr mother. Just sat in the sun. I don't want to get my hopes up but this little bit of change with this kitten gives me hope that she will pull through. I hope it isn't a false positive and her quick decline is around the corner.
Gave her more fluids that she didn't want me to give her. Tried to fight and squirm away from me. That's a good sign, right? The ability to struggle against me opposed to just doing nothing?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, these are very hopeful signs, but please keep her indoors until she is fully healed and vaccinated down the road.

Is she taking any formula or just pedialyte?

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have only been giving her pedialyte. I do have some formula that I can give her. I would probably have to syringe the food into her. Think that is okay?
Also just got a call from my vet that Dr. Mike is running behind in his surgeries and pushed back my appointment to 1:45pm

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, if she’ll take formula it would be good for her to have the nutrition.

Has she been eating at all, or just taking pedialyte?

If so, how long since she last had food or formula?

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
I decided to come to the vet early and hope that Dr. Mike is able to see her sooner. This kitten hasn't eaten anything I offered her in 2 days. Today will be day number 2 if she doesn't eat. I am uncertain if she nursed from her mother. Last I saw she wasn't laying down for them. I have been weaning the kittens off of their mom and feeding them kiiten fancy feast pate. Up until 2 days ago they all would come running when it was time to eat.
The only thing I have been giving her is the pedialyte. Wish us luck for a good prognosis.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update. So Dr. Mike could not determine the exact cause of why the kittens all suddenly became ill. He believes that their mother may have passed bacteria on to them from them nursing on her. But because we have no history on mom cat it is only speculation. He did feel thickening in her intestines and is testing her feces now for something that starts with a "C". I forgot exactly the name but it is an intestinal parasite. He said she isn't dehydrated but does need nutrition so I am to feed her milk replacement every 2 to 3 hours. She is 1lb currently. He is prescribing amoxicillin and another antibiotic that starts with an "M" for diarrhea. Basically all I can do for her is supportive care and hope for the best. There is no guarantee that she will pull through or not. I am not to let her nurse on her mother anymore and have to keep her indoors with me. She does have/had roundworms as I discovered due to me giving her pyrantel. Dr. Mike said he wanted me to give her another .5ml of pyrantel today as well.
Vet tech just told me that the only intestinal parasite are the roundworms. There is no other presence of parasites. So we are on our way home now.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
If I am reading this correctly it says that she should be drinking a total of 120 ml a day being as though she is only 1 pound. It says it should be divided into equal parts per feeding. So exactly how much should she have? I AM TERRIBLE AT MATH! I did just give her 1.5ml to start as she hasn't had anything in days. Not sure how much to actually get into her every two hours. Advice please!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I see you bought the pre-mixed formula. It often gives kittens diarrhea, and overall, kittens seem to prefer the taste of the powdered formula.

The rule of thumb is 8 ounces of formula per ounce the kitten weighs, so at 16 ounces, she would need 128mLs each 24 hours. This total is divided by number of feedings. If you plan to feed her every 3 hours, that’s 128 divided by 8, which comes to 16mLs every 3 hours.

Your vet is treating her infection as bacterial rather than viral. Did you ask about panleukopenia?

The pyrantel and metronidazole will knock out worms and parasites, as well as clear any intestinal bacteria. I’m not sure what the amoxicillin is for.

Giving her nutrition is probably the most important thing you can do now. I hope she pulls through!

Has the mama cat been sick? She can be spayed now since she will no longer be nursing.

frankie the cat

Mama to 7 cats
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for helping me with feeding dosage.
So to give you a little more information. For whatever reason cats seem to just appear here at my house. I don't know of they are being dumped or the colony of outdoor cats send out S.O.S signals to those cats that are hungry,lonely,hurt or lost lol. Anyways the kittens mama showed up maybe March or April. Pregnant and from the looks of it...still a young cat herself. I didn't get her spayed yet due to her pregnancy but now I can. I could of had a procedure done to abort the kittens she was carrying but I couldn't bring my heart to do it. So I let her have her babies. There was a total of 8 at my first count. She would not let me near them for about 2 weeks. Anyway by that time there was 7. Then one day just 6. As she let me I began carrying for the kittens and socializing them so I could get them adopted. Fast forward....now that there is only 1 kitten left I have no problem with taking care of her until I get her adopted. If she continues to thrive.
Their mama has an infection in her mouth that caused a large lump on her face. I treated her myself with antibiotics and the lump went away. But she definitely could benefit from seeing a vet. I have maybe 6 or 7 adults living outside. All are fixed accept Dixie....the kittens mama....and Salem...the kittens daddy. He has not allowed me to touch him get near him or even trap him since he was a kitten himself. Dixie won't be a problem catching as she is a sweetie. I love cats. Wanna help them as much as I can responsibly. I feed them and provide shelter year round. And when I am able to capture one they get fixed! I never intended on having so many indoor and outdoor cats. It kinda just happened over the years lol