Whole Earth Farms Canned Food

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Opinions? I saw this and I know it is made by the same people as Merrick, but it is much cheaper, my Lilly LOVES Merrick's LID Real Chicken Recipe canned food and Im wondering if I should attempt adding this to the rotation, or are the ingrediants just total crap?

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Mine prefer the minced varieties over the pates but they are all good. I don't feed this one as much as some others but they like it now and then. 

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I started rotating in Merrick LID and pates for my 3 cats for about 6 months ago. I bought a couple cans of the Whole Earth Farms pates except duck. Petco has yet to stock the duck pate. My cats don't seem to like the Whole Earth Farms versions. Most of it got tossed in the trash after sitting in their bowls all day. Doesn't hurt to give it a try, but it just didn't work for mine.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
The lid is very light so I mix in one 3 oz can of soulistic good Kharma shredded chicken with 5 oz can Merrick lid pate ( to make it more filling) for dinner for two cats. One of my two cats is a huge male, twice the size of the female, splitting one lid can is not enough! (He gets no dry food)

Last edited:

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Petco has yet to stock the duck pate.
Actually, my local stores carry the duck pate, and it's also available online: https://www.petco.com/webapp/wcs/st...0051&langId=-1&productId=142024&storeId=10151

:)
Unfortunately, all stores are not stocked and managed exactly the same. The store closest to me (less than a mile away) doesn't have the duck pate. I'm not going to drive across town to another one to see if they have it., nor am I going to order a case of it without knowing if they like it. I like to buy a few cans of new food from the store first to see it my cats like it before ordering a whole case just to find out they won't eat it.. Maybe my Petco will stock the duck pate, maybe it won't. But there's plenty of other food that my cats do like that I don't have to go to all that trouble for. It's cheaper on chewy.com anyway and won't arrive already expired. That's been a big problem at my Petco lately, Instead of doing a real inventory and removing expired cans, they've just put them on sale 15% of 10 or more or 10% of 12 or more. I had to return half a dozen cans last week. And that's not the first time I bought expired food there, I just didn't notice until after the return period had passed.

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to give Whole Earth Farms a try. The quality seems pretty close so t could save you some money without sacrificing quality.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Unfortunately, all stores are not stocked and managed exactly the same. The store closest to me (less than a mile away) doesn't have the duck pate. I'm not going to drive across town to another one to see if they have it., nor am I going to order a case of it without knowing if they like it. I like to buy a few cans of new food from the store first to see it my cats like it before ordering a whole case just to find out they won't eat it.. Maybe my Petco will stock the duck pate, maybe it won't. But there's plenty of other food that my cats do like that I don't have to go to all that trouble for. It's cheaper on chewy.com anyway and won't arrive already expired. That's been a big problem at my Petco lately, Instead of doing a real inventory and removing expired cans, they've just put them on sale 15% of 10 or more or 10% of 12 or more. I had to return half a dozen cans last week. And that's not the first time I bought expired food there, I just didn't notice until after the return period had passed.

Like I said, it doesn't hurt to give Whole Earth Farms a try. The quality seems pretty close so t could save you some money without sacrificing quality.
This is very true and typical of Petco. 

The store near me is so unreliable and the next closest one is 30 miles one way. If you can find the minced varieties of WEF, give them a try. My cats seem to like it better than the pates. At least they do right now. That could change tomorrow. 

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yup, I totally understand.  My local stores don't carry certain brands or flavors since they don't sell well here.  I just wanted to point out that it is available in some locations. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lillypie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for all of your input!! I am really just trying to add a little variety while also offsetting the cost of Merrick a little bit.... any other suggestions for wet food I should consider adding to my rotation that won't break the bank? Lilly is pretty sensitive and can't tolerate Fancy Feast or anything like that. Thanks :)

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats like Friskies pates, but I've been weening them off in the last year or so. Merrick has been okay, but they don't like certain flavors and it must be pate style, even though Merrick's minced looks like pate. Two of them will not be fooled by fake pate. Mine also like Iams Purrfect Delights pates, Halo Spots Pates, Halo Impulse pates, Halo Vigor turkey & quail (haven't tried the whole Vigor line yet), and Nutro soft loaf pates. Petco's Soulistic line isn't very expensive (cheaper than parent Weruva) if your cat likes food that looks like real meat. My 3rd cat will eat it sometimes as he's not picky about texture. Nature's Recipe cups fit in that category too.

I tried a bunch of Wellness pates and mine didn't go crazy for it, except turkey was okay. It's a little more expense anyway. Hills Science Diet is hated entirely by the 3rd cat and the first 2 don't care for the minced style, yet they don't mind the senior kibble. You really just have to try a couple cans of a particular food and then try it again a couple more times to see how your own cats likes it and tolerates it tummy wise. My cats have tricked me into thinking they like something and then refused to eat it when I haven't done that. 

lvmygrdn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My crew likes the Whole Earth Farms duck pate but I add a bit of water to it. They are all rescues from a kill shelter. They would eat anything when I brought them home but now they are fuss buckets and I'm afraid I'm to blame. Sigh.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My crew likes the Whole Earth Farms duck pate but I add a bit of water to it. They are all rescues from a kill shelter. They would eat anything when I brought them home but now they are fuss buckets and I'm afraid I'm to blame. Sigh.
My cats are the same way. Lilith and Sophie came from the Humane Society. They became picky eaters fairly quickly. Henry came from a local no kill shelter. He was used to eating whatever was donated so he was a great eater. Then the diva sisters got a hold of him and he adopted their sophisticated palate quite quickly after that. 

They like a food until I buy a case of it. 

lvmygrdn

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My cats are the same way. Lilith and Sophie came from the Humane Society. They became picky eaters fairly quickly. Henry came from a local no kill shelter. He was used to eating whatever was donated so he was a great eater. Then the diva sisters got a hold of him and he adopted their sophisticated palate quite quickly after that. :lol3:

They like a food until I buy a case of it. :sigh:
[/quote
So true!

dorimon

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

My cats are the same way. Lilith and Sophie came from the Humane Society. They became picky eaters fairly quickly. Henry came from a local no kill shelter. He was used to eating whatever was donated so he was a great eater. Then the diva sisters got a hold of him and he adopted their sophisticated palate quite quickly after that. 

I am so fortunate that our Coco is and has always been willing to eat just about anything.  Er... let me rephrase: Coco WILL eat just about anything, if you let her.  The only things she's ever turned her nose up to are Blue Wilderness Duck (a long time ago before we knew to avoid BB) and Primal Pheasant.  Callie wasn't too enthusiastic about certain foods when she first arrived at our house, but she is even more crazy about food than Coco now.

catminionjess

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm going to have to steal "fuss buckets" 

I'm convinced my cats do this on purpose.  
I'm glad someone else also avoids BB. I fell for the advertising about 4 1/2 years ago and had my cats try the dry food thinking I was elevating their diet. Wrong! While on it, my girl developed a strange cough I'd never heard her do before. It wasn't a hairball or "I'm about to barf" cough. It was more like she was choking some time after eating and it'd go on for a few minutes. After they finished that bag, I put them back on their old food Iams Hairball and Weight Care and she stopped having the strange cough. And any other brands they've tried since, didn't cause a strange cough like BB did.