Who To Watch Cats When On Vacation?

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to run by my situation to you nice people here at thecatsite:

My husband and I will be traveling for 2.5 weeks in August. There is a lovely cat sitter in town that we trust and who is great with the cats. We could use her, potentially but it will get pricey. The other option is driving the kitties about 2 hours away and they can stay at my parents' house. They used to live at that house and they know my parents and love them too. Gannicus has asthma and needs his inhaler often; right now every other day, but sometimes every day.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are:
1) I want them to be comfortable (so, is that their own space or more social time?)
2) I feel a bit guilty dropping them off at my parents, even though my mom acts like she would love it.
3) The sitter is amazing but the price could be on the low end of $300, but maybe up to $600 bucks just to have her visit.

We don't have other friends we trust in the area, especially since the person needs to feel comfortable giving our shy cat an inhaler. The sitter and my parents both know how to do this, and have already done it multiple times with Gannicus.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know it is pricey, but to be able to leave your cats in their own home is always what I consider the best choice.

How old are these cats, and do they frequently spend time at your parents? If it has been two years, they may recognize them and they may not. A trial run, just to see what happens?

Have you ever considered proposing that your mom come stay with the cats, and perhaps make a few trips back home during the time? If that is even a possible option, the sitter could fill in for the times she has gone home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnbsp

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, they are almost 2 years old. We lived there (cats included) last July to November 2018...

I know them staying in their own space is the most ideal :( but it is a hefty price tag. They still remember my parents because my parents sometimes visit us. And I can tell because they are at ease with them, and not with strangers. Maybe there's a way my mom could come and stay here for part of the time, but honestly, I think she'll be bored and I don't know how possible that would be.