Who shares their home with kids and animals?

menagerie mama

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was recently informed that having 7 cats and 2 dogs isn't healthy for an infant, and I care more for animals than humans, AND I shouldn't EVER have children if I don't agree with these statements. Harsh, and it hurt my feelings to have someone tell me I shouldn't consider becoming a parent. I've always thought I'd be a great mom. It made me feel like they thought my children would be living in squalor or something. I need to vent a little and I'm feeling very sensitive about this issue, due to the fact that I want to have kids someday, and still keep my animals! Does anyone else have, or know someone who has as many animals as this, AND kids? What do you think? Is it a big deal? I mean, besides the obvious cleanliness of litterboxes and all that. What's unhealthy about it? Am I just a crazy cat lady and can't see the "dangers"?

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, when I was a baby there was a dog and a cat around - No problems for me!!!

As long as the pets are kept clean and their areas are clean, then there won't be an issue!!!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no idea what is unhealthy about it. I would have kids & critters in the same house. I don't see anything wrong with it. My ocusin has 5 cats, 5 dogs, & 3 kids, all in the house. When people say something stupid like its unhealthy, she gets a confused look on her face & replies, "But you were raised with your siblings & they kept your litter pan clean & your food bowls full!" She then stops away angrily & tells people what a stupid thing this person told her. She got so mad over this. She's a vet. Every animal she has was abandoned & all but on are very special needs. Her kids aren't cared for any less than they would be without pets. They are blessed to have the best friends they could ever want!

fwan

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
if you can afford it and look after both humans and kids why should they care?? lol

touro1979

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I grew up in a house full of animals. My parents actually have pics of our cats in the crib with me. There is no problem having children and cats (to me they are one in the same) in the same house. No human children for me though, my kitties are all I need.

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
A big
to whoever said this to you! Sounds like they're having a go at you 'cos they don't understand having pets, esp so many. IMO, you're clearly a very caring and responsible person as evidenced by all your healthy and happy pets.
I grew up in house that was never long without a cat. It just seems like a natural feature of real home to me!

percysmom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't worry about what some people say. I have 4 cats, 6 dogs, and 50 parakeets, 2 large parrots and did daycare in my home. I passed all license inspections for many years. If you can keep everything clean and under control, who cares about the opinion of small minded people. I even had references on my pets from clients, saying their children learned many good things about interacting with animals form my critters.

katl8e

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My parents have always had between 1 and 5 dogs. They raised the four of us AND six grandkids. At some points in time, I have had as many as six cats, a dog and two kids. None of us are any the worse for wear. (Well, I am but, that's from raising the kids.)

dixie_darlin

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
PUH-LEASE! When both my boys were born I had cats AND dogs! No problems here! Unless your child was born with allergies, then it would be a problem! I was lucky that mine weren't.

badenzoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My son's (who is now almost 20) first word was, "cat." I have pictures of myself feeding him, with the cat, who was then tiny, curled up on top of him, when he was about 3 months old.
Our German Shepherd sniffed him gently on the head when I brought him home from the hospital, gave him a little lick on the top of the head and proceeded to protect him throughout her 13 years with us.
If you maintain a clean home, can afford it and pay enough attention to everyone, supervise when necessary-- don't let it bother you what ignorant people say.
Robyn, who lives with 1 husband, 4 kids, 8 cats, 5 dogs, 2 elderly rats and 2 gerbils

jane_vernon

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by badenzoo

My son's (who is now almost 20) first word was, "cat." I have pictures of myself feeding him, with the cat, who was then tiny, curled up on top of him, when he was about 3 months old.
Our German Shepherd sniffed him gently on the head when I brought him home from the hospital, gave him a little lick on the top of the head and proceeded to protect him throughout her 13 years with us.
If you maintain a clean home, can afford it and pay enough attention to everyone, supervise when necessary-- don't let it bother you what ignorant people say.
Robyn, who lives with 1 husband, 4 kids, 8 cats, 5 dogs, 2 elderly rats and 2 gerbils
Thats so cute!!!

lndscpsam

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
How nasty for someone to say that! I have 2 dogs, 2 cats, 2 bunnies, 1 fish & 14 birds in the house. My kids and their friends LOVE playing with the animals. I say you'd make a great mom and keep your animals!

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You could always say you plan to adopt out all the animals when you have kids, and then adopt out the kid, too, if it doesn't fit your schedule! LOL!

Honestly, I think it is healthier to have at least one or two pets with kids. And the numbers don't matter as much as the cleanliness. I had one sitter who fostered labradors, and her house was spotless. Another had several cats, who walked all over the table as the kids ate. The litter box was in the kitchen, one cat sprayed so strong that I smelled it on my shoes as I drove to work. Then she got a St. Bernard puppy, who was very undisciplined. I ended up leaving her, due to safety issues when I had a new baby.

But I have read that children raised in homes with pets have less allergies. I'm not sure if it is because of course adults with allergies don't usually get pets for their kids, or if having the pets gets the kids used to them. But maybe you can say you have to keep all the cats for health reasons! LOL!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh hogwash. I grew up with 6 brothers and all kinds of animals, as far back as I can remember. I think I'm pretty darn well-adjusted AND rarely get sick; I'm very strong and stay calm in emergencies - probably due to all the good influence I had from our pets!

On the other hand, have you ever noticed that a lot of people who have a household devoid of ANY pets, any animals, are pretty cold? It's like they have a microchip missing inside their brains in the warmth department!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Actually kids raised with animals are healthier they have less allergies and are more active ...

lillekat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's an incredibly insensitive thing to say to anyone - who on earth came up with that rubbish? I used to share my home with my son and two cats... now I don't have any of them, but at least while we were all in the same place it was relatively peaceful! Greebo used to love getting into Alex's pram while he was tiny and she used to snuggle up beside him and they'd both be really cozy in there. As long as I kept my eye on her to make sure she didn't get TOO close, they were perfectly happy. Kiddie and kitten in one place. Sprocket on the other hand was fabulous when Alex got a little bigger - he used to keep him entertained for hours just by chasing around little scraps of paper on the floor in front of him - he knew that Alex loved to watch and giggle at him and several times I saw him give Alex the little bit of paper to throw for him (just like a dog would with a ball). That's where Sprocket's nickname Rocket-man came from! Alex coudln't say Sprocket, so he just dropped the sp on the front.

Alex's first day home from the hospital, he came home to a cat and a dog - who just adored him (and the dog still lives with him bizarrely enough) and she's so protective of him. She loves him to death. Tasha just can't contain her excitement when she seens Alex!
Alex was also a sickeningly healthy child too.... if you keep your house almost sterile, you're going to create huge problems for your child in the future.... a little cat hair or dog hair around the house never killed anyone (unless they were allergic, I guess - but I haven't heard of that) that kind of stuff in the house and a bit of dust here and there and the odd biscuit from the floor that you just can't save in time, isn't going to hurt a child in any way - it's actually good for them to build up an immunity to any little bugs that could be around.

You know, this was actually kinda painful to post, because I miss my son and even my cats and dog so very very much, but I wanted to tell you - don't you dare let anyone tell you you shouldn't be parent. If you want to be, you will be - and to hell with them saying you care more for animals than for people - that might be the case now, but if you have children, you'll love each one of them more than anything else on God's green earth. There is no word to describe a mother's love...... and sometimes a mother will do anything that is necessary for her children, because she loves them so much. I should know. I did.