Who Plays Fetch?

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So, Shadow and I had a very intense, 20 minute fetch session today.
I bought her some of these fuzzy mice a few days ago and she absolutely loves them.

When I bought the same fuzzy mice a year ago I found them both buried in her litter box. Haha

I thought maybe she didn't like them because of that.

Anyhow, how many of you actively play fetch with your kitties?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to play fetch a lot with Mingo, using crinkle balls. But he got more and more selective about which ball he would bring back until there was only one he would return. Since the balls would get lost under couch or the stove, I started keeping it in a drawer when not in use. But the inevitable happened one night when he chased it into the kitchen and came back without it. It's never been seen since, and he won't bring back any of the other crinkle balls.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
The first kitty I ever had, Saradoc, loved to fetch small wadded up pieces of paper. She’d bring them back so many times that the paper would get limp and soggy. Max, my 20-year-old boy who crossed the Bridge last summer, would also fetch paper wads, but he was easily bored and would wander off after a couple of “fetches.” There’s always that point when you realize you’re playing fetch with yourself while your cat sits and watches you with tolerant amusement.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
My Ruby doesn't play fetch. But she does play "tennis", in that I throw the ball to her. She bats at it. It rolls across the floor. I go get it, and throw it to her again. Hmmm... guess we do play fetch. Only I'm the one doing the fetching. :lol:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
One of our first cats, a long hair tabby, loved to play fetch. His athletic skills were amazing. Our present cat, a Persian, also has exceptional prowess when it comes to playing what we like to call basketball. He stands on the stairs, we throw a fabric ball to him and he bats it with his paw. Sometimes he runs after it and brings it back but other times he waits for us to throw it again. :biggrin:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
All of my cats except one have played fetch. Some caught on to the game quickly, some slowly. Current girl only wants to play with a Pom Pom that she soaks in her water dish first. Others have played with bottle caps, cat springs and mousies.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Mizu and I play fetch on a daily basis. Her favorite toys are colored springs which she enjoys batting around the house. At some point she will venture over to wherever I am in the house and deposit one near me. I'll toss it for her and she returns it to me. The game generally ends when she winds up batting it under a piece of furniture and can't retrieve it.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Mizu and I play fetch on a daily basis. Her favorite toys are colored springs which she enjoys batting around the house. At some point she will venture over to wherever I am in the house and deposit one near me. I'll toss it for her and she returns it to me. The game generally ends when she winds up batting it under a piece of furniture and can't retrieve it.
Yup, the springs seem to be the favorite. My previous cat played fetch with them well into her mid teens. Current cat doesn’t fetch them but they are still her favorite toy. We probably have fifty or so in total because I am lazy about digging them out from under every piece of furniture,

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I keep a 2 x 4 and a metal yardstick so I can release them from the captivity of the couch and the stove. We're up to about 50 and I'm lucky if I can find 5 at any given moment.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IMG_6522.JPG Dante plays fetch with my hairbands. He always wanted to play when he was you get but he has calmed down and now plays fetch about once or twice a month.

I buy this type of rubber bands but his are black .... or were until I just gave him one ;)

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My Little Bit (that’s her in my avatar) liked to play fetch when she was young but eventually grew out of it. She especially liked grape stems but paper and foil balls were also acceptable.

silkenpaw

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
View attachment 236084 Dante plays fetch with my hairbands. He always wanted to play when he was you get but he has calmed down and now plays fetch about once or twice a month.

I buy this type of rubber bands but his are black .... or were until I just gave him one ;)
My Armani loves rubber bands and hair ties. When I put my hair up in the morning, he runs by, steals the tie and carries it off to play with (usually to the top of the cabinets in the bathroom). It doesn’t matter where he is in the house, the Black Phantom appears in the bathroom the moment a hair tie is on the counter. The theft usually occurs while I’m brushing my hair upside down, so when I straighten out to pick up the hair tie, it’s gone and Armani is no longer to be found. I have taken to putting the tie in my pocket while I do my hair so I don’t have to stop everything and rummage in the drawers to find a new one. And, no, having his own tie is not good enough, the one I’m about to use is always more attractive :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I totally forgot that I wanted to pick up some of the springs for Shadow this past weekend. Putting it on the list for today.

View attachment 236084 Dante plays fetch with my hairbands. He always wanted to play when he was you get but he has calmed down and now plays fetch about once or twice a month.

I can't keep hair ties anywhere except under lock and key! Good thing they are relatively cheap because I think I have about 50 under the fridge and stove. Haha

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I totally forgot that I wanted to pick up some of the springs for Shadow this past weekend. Putting it on the list for today.
Kai_shadowsmom, you mean you don't pick them up automatically every time you enter a pet store? :D I should invest in stock for that company. If I ever move, I'm going to find the 400 missing springs that I already own.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kal_shadowsmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kai_shadowsmom, you mean you don't pick them up automatically every time you enter a pet store? :D I should invest in stock for that company. If I ever move, I'm going to find the 400 missing springs that I already own.
I was distracted the last time I stopped.lol
I was going to the store for a cat tree, and they didn't have the one I had my heart set on, they had just run out of the style I wanted and had to order it. I was pretty disappointed.
I think that was the first time I walked out without buying anything tbh.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I understand that completely. I'm strangely picky when it comes to cat trees. I've picked out one online but still haven't gotten around to ordering it.

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope, when he gets it, it's his. :lol:
Had to stop playing keep away though. Ceiling fan..........