Who is this cat?

mahniah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't know if this should be in this forum or nutrition, it's a little of both.  Duke is the most loveable cat I've ever had and, as you can imagine, we're very attached to each other.   BUT... lately he's been so trying that I've actually gone out for a while because I couldn't take it anymore.  Here's the story.  I got him when he was two, four years ago.  He was a stray.  I've fed him Wysong Vitality, a dry food, and all was well until around four months ago when he became uninterested in eating, but had no other symptoms.  Turns out he had an inflamed intestine and  a biopsy showed no other problems.  The vet suggested I switch to wet food, and I've been trying and trying.  I've read all the advice on this site and on catinfo.org and got a lot of helpful tips, some of which helped but only for a while.  I've tried probably 20 kinds of food and the only ones he'll even approach are Fancy Feast, and maybe Friskies sometimes.  He'll eat a bit of something and seem to enjoy it and the next time I give him the same flavor he won't touch it, and then he'll scream for more food.  If he doesn't want it, he doesn't want it, and if I give him nothing else, he'll leave it there.  If I go out, he'll leave it.  And if I pick it up and put the rest of the can in the fridge, he won't eat it the next day.  He'll never eat the same flavor twice in a row, even if he ate it the first time.   I've tried combining two different cans in a coffee grinder, and sometimes that works once.  And I've tried adding some freeze dried turkey, and that occasionally helps.  When I'm home, it seems that all I do is put out food, pick it up and throw it out, and open another can.   Sometimes it seems like he's playing a game with me.  He seems to feel good, he's playing more, and gets on my lap when I'm sitting, sleeps next to my pillow, etc.  I'm sure the weather hasn't helped because there's so much snow he can't get out, and I have a cat door so he's used to coming and going and has always liked being outside and hunting.  A few days ago I started putting out kibble and he'll occasionally eat a few bites, but not more.  Now I think the problem is me.  I really dislike trying to feed him, and it bothers me when he gets in my face for something to eat after I've opened maybe three new cans.  I just don't know what to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mahniah

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks.  I checked that out and one thing they recommend is a food foraging device.  That looks interesting and I think I'll try it.  He loves kicking around a ball so maybe it'll click.  I'm wondering if anyone here has tried something like that.  This is one I'm looking at on Amazon... 

Petsafe SlimCat Meal Dispensing Cat Toy