Who Has Newborn Kittens Right Now? I Need Your Help!

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As the leader of a TNR program (Trap-Neuter-Return of feral cats) I am reaching out to breeders with an unusual request.
For a pilot project supported by Maddie's Fund I need to find neonatal kittens. Ideally NOW.
Let me explain: My TNR team won Maddie's Fund Innovation grant for the idea to train a dog in nose-work, to find newborn kittens when trapping feral cats for TNR. This will save their lives (sometimes we don't even know there are kittens, until mom is in surgery!). It will also make TNR more efficient, as we will be able to work a site 100%. It will help finding kittens, place them in foster care, prevent them becoming feral.
We have the trainer, the dog, the handler. Now the only thing missing is kitten scent for training! We would like to have the "Kitten K-9" team ready in spring.
Here is my problem: we are in the Pacific Northwest, and kitten season is clearly over here. I personally know two cat breeders locally, but none of them has kittens under 4 weeks.
I don't need the kittens in person, just the help of the human taking care of them. I have scent kits prepared, ready to mail to whoever can help me.
The age limit is, because our "target" are neonates, and the scent of the babies changes once they start weaning.
If you have kittens under four weeks, or know someone, PLEASE contact me! If you have a lead, or another idea where to find kittens right now, contact me. I have also posted in Maddie's shelter forum, and emailed to TICA.

SpinkyDinkyDoo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

ameezers

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have kittens that are a week old, I am in Canada but would be happy to help. What do you need for scent samples?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have kittens that are a week old, I am in Canada but would be happy to help. What do you need for scent samples?
ameezers, if you send me your address in a private message, I will mail you the scent collection kit and instructions. I am going to send one out to a forum member today, but it would be really good to have a couple more, so the dog can learn, that we want her to find any baby kitten.
The scent kit is basically a specially packaged small blanket and disposable gloves, all pretty much scentless, so we get the "pure" kitten scent for the dog. Once the dog is fully trained, a mix of scents is fine, but for training purposes we try to avoid the smell of humans, plastic, washing detergent, or anything else.

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey, where is everyone that wanted to help? "Lots of Spots" got the kit and is working on it, but I need one or two more scent samples. Puleeeaaase? Anybody?

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I should go, even just for having been at a cat show once in my life!