Who feeds strictly wet

zygote

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think a lot of this depends on the cat. My previous cat (pictured) was fed mostly dry food her whole life, and did fine on it because she loved water and drank a ton. She did develop mild kidney disease when she was around ~13, but she also had cancer and that was by far the bigger issue for her quality of life (and what she ultimately passed from).

My current cat is terrible at drinking water and gets constipated when her diet is primarily dry food. So she gets two cans a day of wet food with a little kibble to supplement. When we go out of town, we get a cat sitter to come once a day and feed one can of wet food. We give her extra kibble to replace the second can of wet food she doesn't get. It's okay for a week or two, even if it's not the best for her long term.

Box of Rain

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yes. Not canned, but rather fresh or fresh-frozen "wet" food (which is inarguably "harder") but I'm convinced it is worth the effort for the well-being of our cat.

Bill

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Val622

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Before I knew any different, I fed exclusively dry food. I literally didn’t know anything about cat nutrition. Those cats had urinary problems, weight problems, threw up hair balls every day, and were always acting hungry.

This time around I’m feeding about two thirds wet and one third dry. These cats are doing so much better, the difference is night and day. They are a healthy weight, no urinary problems, no hair balls, and they are satisfied, no begging for food. The reasons I still feed some dry is 1) monetary, it’s quite expensive to feed exclusively wet, and 2) I’m a realist about the world we live in and life in general. Something could happen whereby they cant get wet food for a time. A natural disaster, a war, food shortages, something that happens to me and I cant care for them, they end up in a shelter. I want their bodies and taste buds accustomed to dry food.

They love both kinds of food and are good eaters. I normally feed the wet first, with added water, then finish up with dry until they walk away. No food out between meals. If I put both wet and dry side by side in the bowl, all three of them eat the wet first.

Its definitely inconvenient sometimes, but all the health problems and whining for food constantly was even more inconvenient.
What are you feeding them. Trying to find the perfect food is crazy.

arr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What are you feeding them. Trying to find the perfect food is crazy.
For dry, I feed Purina One Indoor Advantage. For wet, they eat mostly Friskies, Fancy Feast, Tiny Tiger ( chewy.com brand), Heart to Tail (Aldi brand), and then occasionally Sheba and Purina One. All the wet is classic pate style.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
For me,no way could I feed raw. I forget to put food back in the fridge so leave raw out all night. No way would I take that chance. Also forget to add ingredients, forget that I added ingredients,forget what to add. Since my cats were kittens,canned only. I did once try leaving dry out when I just had peaches. She had a stool stuck in her and was on meds for 2 weeks from high white blood count

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
I feed wet because my cat has tummy issues and dry food tend to plug her up and she struggles to poo. No matter what kind of dry food, no matter the ingredients or brand, she struggles in the box. I think its because she doesn't drink enough. We food helps tremendously for her

louisstools

1 cat with me, 1 in heaven
Alpha Cat
Purraise
A year ago, b/c the vet refused to renew our long time RX for UTI kibble, I had to put my girl on wet food. She didn't really like it and it was a giant pain in the ass. Some of that pain was due to poor quality control for wet food during the "late covid" period of late 2021/early 2022.

Maybe if she would have eaten the food w/o a fight, or if she wasn't such a grazer -- a big meal is when she eats 0.3oz by weight of food -- things would have been different but man I don't know how yall do it. wet food is just such a giant pain in the ass.

Twinkster

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I started my cats on a wet food only diet a month ago. I have been adding some Primal freeze dried raw in as well a few times a week. Its so expensive to feed all wet, I don't think they miss the dry. I struggle with wondering if they are eating enough. I was going to try a automatic feeder for wet food to give them some lunch as well.