White spots/growths on cats tongue?

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
New member here. I'll try to be brief and concise, as I know how tedious it can be reading long posts.

Our 4 year old cat, (rescue looks very bengal like) has been very health, regular vet checks. 10 months ago, we notice a white lump/spot on his tongue. Took him to our vet and she wasn't sure what it could be and just wanted to put it on a watch. His behavior hasn't changed, looks otherwise very health, playful, full appetite etc.

Fast forward. A few months later, it did seem to improve and we weren't concerned. The last few months it seems to have returned, and there seemingly is a few, which may have been there all along, right on the top of his tongue and towards the back off his tongue.

Decided to go to the vet again. Unfortunately, our (incredible) vet has left her practice and area. We now had to book with a new vet, great reputation, and highly recommended. He took one look and reacted very negatively. Really scared us, and then said it could be cancer. Particularly, oral squamous cell carcinoma. Only way to know for sure is to do a biopsy which we scheduled for next week.

Everything we've checked on our own suggest he should have been dead long ago. He has no symptoms. Found several other oral issues that matched his images, and the images of sqamous we've looked at are not even close to similar.

I suppose I'm looking for reassurance, but also hoping there's some experience here that can help. The other thing that bothers me is, we only met this vet for 5 minutes. Don't know him. Is this just his way? Prepare for the worst type of style. Thanks in advance, and hope I didn't get too long.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Could it be feline papilloma virus?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Did check both your suggestions out. As for papilloma virus, our cats lesions don't seem to match the profile. as with PV the growth is more wart like and often black from what I understand.

A Alldara : As for your suggestion of thrush, once again it seems to come with several other symptoms that our cat doesn't have any of. I very much like your description of a "doomsday vet". I'm sure some are like this in an effort to prepare you for the worst, but like you, I would prefer a positive approach before a difinitive diagnosis is reached.

Everyone's been researching like crazy here. My wife has come up with something that does seem like a match. It called feline eosinophilic granulomas. Anyone heard of this? Seems common enough, and the lesions match the images shown for this. The vet did say the word granuloma and even benign but we were in total shock at that point.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the replies. Did check both your suggestions out. As for papilloma virus, our cats lesions don't seem to match the profile. as with PV the growth is more wart like and often black from what I understand.

A Alldara : As for your suggestion of thrush, once again it seems to come with several other symptoms that our cat doesn't have any of. I very much like your description of a "doomsday vet". I'm sure some are like this in an effort to prepare you for the worst, but like you, I would prefer a positive approach before a difinitive diagnosis is reached.

Everyone's been researching like crazy here. My wife has come up with something that does seem like a match. It called feline eosinophilic granulomas. Anyone heard of this? Seems common enough, and the lesions match the images shown for this. The vet did say the word granuloma and even benign but we were in total shock at that point.
Could you call your vet for clarification? Explain to them that you were shocked and didn't absorb what they said. You'll probably have to wait on a returned phone call, but it might ease your mind.

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Could you call your vet for clarification? Explain to them that you were shocked and didn't absorb what they said. You'll probably have to wait on a returned phone call, but it might ease your mind.
I suppose we could do this, but regardless, the biopsy they're taking on Monday will give us the most important answer. We're even concerned about how traumatic the anesthesia will be, and they keep him there for about 6 hours. He said we should get the results in about 2 days.

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Tomorrow morning "Larry" gets his biopsy done. Been a long week of searching and hoping for answers. Right now I'm actually just wanting him to get through the procedure, as he's a very nervous cat. Would never bite or scratch, just gets very scared.

Nothing I'm reading seems to add up to a cancer diagnosis. I know it's wishful thinking though. because of that, if the results come back positive, I'm going to be pretty shocked. I'll post the results, guess it's just a big wait and see.

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just thought I'd give an update. "Larry" had his biopsy done today. Different vet did the procedure. He has some stitches in his lip, and is a little dopey, but otherwise he seems really playful, and not traumatized as I thought he's be. The vet tech talked to my Daughter when they picked him up, and she said the vet didn't think it was anything serious, but fingers crossed.

Oddly, they've prescribed him one month of Prednisone, and an antibiotic. Seems odd to me that they're doing this before the results of the biopsy are in. Should I be encouraged by that? He did come home extremely hungry, and wants to keep eating. Not to have kibble though, as they feel his lip/tongue might be sore for a few days.

We should get a call within a few days with the results. I'll be certain to post that as well. Thank-you all for the support.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Vets do have enough experience to be able to make an optimistic guess that things might be okay. Pred will suppress inflammation and the antibiotic is probably to prevent any infection at the site of the biopsy, or at least those are the reasons I think that they have been prescribed. Definitely stick with the soft food and let us know what the results show.

Fusco

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
UPDATE!!!!

Well, been over a week, and got the call today from our (new) vet about "Larrys" biopsy results. Good news!! Not Cancer. The vet was really sure that it was, and even sent photos and consulted with another vet, that also felt the lesions were looking really bad.

Turns out, he has the condition I mentioned earlier called eosinphilic granuloma. He wants him to stay on prednisolone, (down to 1 tablet daily), for a several more weeks bofore weaning. After one week of 2 tablets daily, we noticed his tongue today looks absolutely and totally normal. The vet prefers to be vigilant to try to avoid a recurrence.

Otherwise, Larry seems pretty much back to normal, except for being somewhat lethargic. I understand this can be a results of the Prednisolone, but not totally sure if he's possibly still feeling the effects of the anesthetic or antibiotcs.

I'll post an update as time goes on. Thanks to all for the support and suggestions, very helpful. Will now have to try to learn more about this condition.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Thank you so much for posting this good news! We are all very happy for you and Larry and would like to hear updates as time goes on.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am so glad it isn't cancer and am so glad it's something that can be treated! What a relief :)