white small egg/spherical shapes in turkey and liver canned food, contaminated patch or normal?

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, i do realize this may seem known knowledge but i found some spherical white things in my cat's wet food, turkey and liver type, my friend says that's normal parts of the liver, but can you guys take a look? I already emailed the company 15 hours ago but got no answer yet

When i squeeze them they seem empty, as if they are bubbles, some are hard

Thankful for any help

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m not familiar with that food. But that doesn’t look right. Besides the white spots, the jelly doesn’t look good either—like it’s all dried out. Most brands put gums in their foods to prevent this kind of separation. Though it is still normal to see the jelly separate from the rest of the pate in some foods. Did you check another can? If the other can is okay, I would contact the company and preserve this can for testing. They might try to deny it like the Cinnamon Toast Crunch incident (🍤). If you want to throw the money around to be sure, you could see if your vet could send a sample for lab testing. I don’t suppose it has to go through the cat first (💩) to run a PCR. (💸)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I’m not familiar with that food. But that doesn’t look right. Besides the white spots, the jelly doesn’t look good either—like it’s all dried out. Most brands put gums in their foods to prevent this kind of separation. Though it is still normal to see the jelly separate from the rest of the pate in some foods. Did you check another can? If the other can is okay, I would contact the company and preserve this can for testing. They might try to deny it like the Cinnamon Toast Crunch incident (🍤). If you want to throw the money around to be sure, you could see if your vet could send a sample for lab testing. I don’t suppose it has to go through the cat first (💩) to run a PCR. (💸)
According to someone at reddit this is congealed fat. and after googling congealed fat cat food it seems spot on, thanks for the insights though

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it cold? I keep canned cat food in my unheated storage room and that's what it looks like in the winter. If you let it warm up it'll look a lot better :D.

Anyway, yeah, I agree it's congealed fat. Sometimes it'll stay congealed at room temp, sometimes it melts, depends on what kind of fat it is.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AB00

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it cold? I keep canned cat food in my unheated storage room and that's what it looks like in the winter. If you let it warm up it'll look a lot better :D.

Anyway, yeah, I agree it's congealed fat. Sometimes it'll stay congealed at room temp, sometimes it melts, depends on what kind of fat it is.
oh yeah i kept it in fridge prior to use, and to make sure i heated these white stuff it it melted, it sure looks malicious at first glance

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your cat is sure to let you know one way or another if the food isn’t up to standards. 🤦‍♂️🤞