White Pus From 2 week old kittens umbilical cord

mysteryminx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there

We have a litter of kittens, and they are just under two weeks old. One of them we were slightly worried about before, but then he started gaining weight like he should. Now we have noticed that his dried up umbilical cord is still attached and we now noticed that it is pussing out quite thick white puss

Can anyone help me with what we should do?

Should we bathe it in salt water ect?

Thanks

A really quick answer would be much appreciated

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mysteryminx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have also read that it is possible that it is a hole in his stomach and that this white puss is actually milk leaking out

Any thoughts on that?

What can I do?

Or is there only something the vets can do?

Thanks

lovehope37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I do suggest you to take the kitten to the vet, regardless. Since the kitten is so young and if it is an infection, it can cause complications for the kitten. I have 5 kittens at the age of 2 weeks and 4 days. When their umbilical cord came off, there was absolutely no puss. Even if there isn't really an article to explain it as being "normal".

Here are my babies.

lovehope37

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Correction: Even if there is no article explaining it as being "abnormal".

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have also read that it is possible that it is a hole in his stomach and that this white puss is actually milk leaking out
Any thoughts on that?
What can I do?
Or is there only something the vets can do?
Thanks
Hi there
We have a litter of kittens, and they are just under two weeks old. One of them we were slightly worried about before, but then he started gaining weight like he should. Now we have noticed that his dried up umbilical cord is still attached and we now noticed that it is pussing out quite thick white puss
Can anyone help me with what we should do?
Should we bathe it in salt water ect?
Thanks
A really quick answer would be much appreciated
Pus always means infection. Salt water will not fix it. Get your cat seen by a vet as soon as you can. It doesn't need to wait until Monday. None of us are qualified to give you medical advice here. Please keep us posted how what the vet says and how the kitten is doing.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with both posters above.  Although saline water IS useful sometimes, I myself do recommend it in easy, basic care cases, this here is an ASAP vet errand.

No question about this.

Of course, when you got your appointment later in the day, you can wash off with warm saline water, before you pack in the kitten in a carrier and drive off. No harm with that and may even do some good.   (be sure there is no draugh, and the kittens is dried out).

Also, as the kitten has an infection, be sure he has it warm and comfortable. Be sure it doesnt get dehydrated.

And contact your vet asap.

Good luck!

Kitty Cat's Daddy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
OMG! Seriously? An infected umbilical is just about the WORST thing you can have wrong with a kitten. The umbilical is a fast lane to the bloodstream, and the bacteria can travel throughout the kitten's little body in seconds. The bacteria gets caught in the smallest blood vessels, in the joints and toes, and can cause the loss of a limb or limbs (assuming, that is, the kitten lives through it). Please drop your laptop on the floor, pick up the entire litter of kitties, and race to your nearest kitty cat emergency room. They will give you some antibiotics. Start them like yesterday if not sooner.