White Noise Machines?

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Anybody have one? Do you like it? Why or why not? Any good reviews or recommendations? We are thinking about getting one in the bedroom.

Thanks!

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I do not have a white noise machine, but I do use my are purifier as one. It also acts as a fan when it is on high...I do like it. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I always use a fan for the noise.  In the winter I just point it towards the wall.

hbunny

Cat herder - Pooper Scooper
Super Cat
Purraise
Hubby gave me a Sharper Image sound machine about 5 years ago, it is an alarm clock and sound machine in one.  Still works great.  It has the white noise sound plus a bunch of other sounds, like a stream, rain, thunderstorm, etc.  It was worth the $.  He bought it at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.  They have a new version out now called a "Sound Soother".  I love mine and can't stand to be without it now.  I think he paid about $70, but I saw them on Amazon for around $50.

I keep mine on "surf"...sounds like the ocean waves rolling in.  It's especially great if you need to sleep during the day to drown out all other household noises.

BTW..I had one of the old plain white round-shaped white noise machines before that, and I really didn't care for it.  It sounded like a mini-fan sitting next to the bed.

Last edited:

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I do not have a white noise machine, but I do use my are purifier as one. It also acts as a fan when it is on high...I do like it. 
That's what we do, and the humidifier in the winter as it's even louder.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a fan and air purifier in the bedroom. They do well enough. Before I had the air purifier, I downloaded a white noise app on my phone. Works great if you keep your phone plugged in all night.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I cannot stand noise in the room when I sleep.  I wake up with a headache and extra ringing in my ears. 

However my DS needed some kind of noise when he was a baby and DD needed one to help her sleep when we would travel.  We had a sound machine but it died.  Instead of looking for a replacement I burnt a CD of a fan noise and played that in his room.  We took the CD player with us when we would travel too.  It was a lifesaver!!  

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would never be able to sleep with a machine like that.  I can't stand noise when I'm trying to sleep.

Years ago when I found out that I needed to use a C-PAP machine for sleeping, I freaked out!  The few that I had heard in the hospital when I was working sounded so loud!  There was no way I would be able to sleep with that noise.

The machine they gave me is virtually silent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
We don't have a choice. I need to be able to sleep without awakening at 3:30 in the morning because the old cats want breakfast. The screaming and meowing is simply relentless at this point. And I can't just get up and go down to the treadmill because of sciatica right now. So I lay in bed and listen to it. For almost 2 hours. It's horrible. 

We have tried feeding them a snack around 10:00 or so. We cannot free-feed because we have a couple cats who will eat the entire bowl of food, then walk around throwing it all back up during the night. Believe me, we tried.

Amber still starts in around 3:30 for food; sometimes she'll start yelling even before 3:00. She's also a pacer, meaning that she will come back to the bedroom around 3:30 and simply walk around in a circle for almost two hours. Relentlessly. Around the bed, under the bed, and around the elliptical. Back under the bed and back around the elliptical. It's almost neurotic. Screaming the entire time. We hear every step on the hardwood floor and we certainly hear her screaming.....and it's not meowing; she is screaming; she surpassed a simply meow months ago. We have managed to finagle two gates together at night in the hallway to stop her from coming back to the bedroom, but now she sits in the hallway and screams. 

Ms. Pepe usually starts in around 4:00 or so, followed by BooBoo soon after. And we just lay there in bed. And listen. We don't know what to do. I've tried cotton balls; I've tried ear plugs. 

We can't shut our bedroom door because Mollipop can't handle a closed door. If she's in the hallway, she wants in the bedroom. If she's in the bedroom, she wants out in the hallway. And either way, she sits at the door and scratches. And scratches.

They've had their thyroids tested and bloodwork seems to be OK. It's the old cats being a pain; the younger ones seem to be OK. They may play together til we get out of bed, but they're not screaming their heads off.

And the screaming doesn't end when we get out of bed. The whole time that Rick is outside with Jackie and I'm trying to put food on plates, they are sitting on the kitchen floor yelling their heads off. Once they get breakfast, they're fine. They'll go back to sleep!

The other night, I put the fan in the bedroom window. Neither Rick nor I heard a thing until around 5:15 when all three old cats must have come back the hallway to the gate, sat down, and started yelling. I had the fan on again last night and we didn't hear anything til the alarm went off at 4:50. We're willing to try a white noise machine, simply because we don't know what else to do. I would think even a fan noise would be preferable to the screaming of three cats.

I prefer silence at night, too. But we haven't had silence in such a long time and I'm desperate. Around here the inmates are running the asylum. 

Last edited:

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@Winchester   Oh my, I feel your pain.  I've been through that. The very elderly one we just had PTS last week was a screamer until she got fed.  And I mean loud, relentless SCREAMS.  Not meows.  I don't have a solution....I struggle with one that has to have food out all the time because he barfs if he doesn't eat often vs. one that eats everything in sight, leaving poor reflux-prone guy with no food.

Could you maybe shut all of them off elsewhere in the house at night except Mollipop, leaving her free to do her thing?

rickr

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I don't have experience with white noise machines, but like others above have mentioned, I run an air purifier in the bedroom, which generates soft background noise.  When Lucy was little she would cry out at all hours of the night - impossible to sleep thru.  I question whether a noise machine would mask the sound of your kitties.  Perhaps it would help you fall back to sleep, but humans are programed to respond to sounds of need.  Now that Lucy is older, she mostly sleeps thru the night.  Every so often, though, she gets lonely (at least that's my impression) and makes this desperate caterwauler cry that can not be ignored.  

There's no reason not to try a white noise machine, but you might have better long term luck, training your kitties to sleep thru the night.  I believe Anne posted an article here recently on tips to train your cat to sleep while you sleep.  I'm sure you can find it using the search function.  

I wish you the best of luck.  I know it is a trying situation.  

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I got a machine like that when we had older cats here, one deaf, one just old, who would start yowling in the middle of the night.  I set mine to the ocean sound and it helped immensely.  The house is much quieter these days, but I still often use the ocean sound to help me sleep.  I love it.

It has other options--crickets chirping, even trains (who would want to go to sleep to the sound of trains?!) 
 but I love the ocean sound.

hbunny

Super Cat
Purraise
@betsygee   I think I have the same one you have!  Mine also has city sounds...it sounds like you are in the midst of NYC with horns honking, people yelling, maybe a garbage truck backing up...plus that train chugga-chugga one.  I never understood having those on there!  The wind chimes also drive me (and the cats) insane.