White Cats

cassiopea

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I'm just wondering if it is true that white cats are more "delicate" in terms to being more apt to various illnessess? I seem to come across that guess or statement fairly often. I was even informed by someone who worked at a shelter, that sometimes white cats are harder to adopt because they have that reputation of poorer health.

If it is true, why is that?

Is it also true or not that white cats are more likely to have poor vision?

Additionally, my two white cats are big on source of heat. They will often snooze in front or on heaters, the fireplace, under sunlight, snuggle against me more adamantly, or use any other sort of heat they can find, such as on top of a cable tv box or heated fish tank. This happens mainly in the winter, though they will still sunbathe under the sun in the summer. So when the winter eason comes, I make sure they are warm and comfortable, since they seem to get chilled quickly. I also made sure it wasn't just my house, like perhaps an unknown draft or cold flooring.

Because they love "tanning" under the sunlight so often, I have to keep tabs on it. Especially Camelot, who already sunburned his ears twice! I have to keep putting proper sunscreen on him during the summer, since he will lay under the sun for long periods of time. I had already known that white cats can have a higher risk skin cancer if not careful.

My late Jack Russell Terrier, who was mostly white aside from having brown ears and a couple of black splotches, did the exact same thing (Aside from sitting on a fishtank, of course!) all the other darker fured animals in my life never did this, including other cats.

Is this a common reaction for cats, who are fair-of-fur to feel easily more cold than others? Or is it just by chance?

I also took time in reading via books and articles about deafness in white/blue eyed cats sometime ago, since I had one in the past of that mix who was definitely deaf. Camelot is green/yellow eyed and white, but is not deaf. Morgana is the same combo of green/yellow eyes and white, but she is deaf. Is she common in this sense, or more rare/unusual? Is it in relation to her colouring combination, or pure coincidence? I tried looking that up, but it was hard finding it, only managing to find a percentage figure, thanks to http://messybeast.com/whitecat.htm. I had originally assumed that those two were not deaf, based on previous knowledge given that the blue ones were of the majority of deafness and the other combo is normally fine - until Morgana showed the clues and it was later confirmed.

Even though she is deaf, she is a happy and lively kitty, and we have ways of comfortably communicating. Both appear fairly healthy thus far, great vision too. Morgana did have a bout of FVS sometime ago, however. Not sure if it correlates or is seperate, and again, just coincidence. She is the one in my avatar.

Thank you so much in advance for taking the time to answer any of them and to correct anything, and my apologies if I seemed all over the place and giving you a thousand Q's at once. Hopefully it is a proper question to ask on here too! Thank you also, for answering my post in the other thread!

(I love them either way regardless
 and wouldn't hesitate getting another white cat in the future)

Oh right, they are both indoor cats.

Last edited:

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy ho Cat Lovers,

The are all white animals in most every species, including dogs, horses and cats of course.  In dogs and horses, all white animals do have other health problems.  This is NOT so in cats - besides deafness.  But, where cats have less pigment, like white cats - they can get more UV damage and can have more chances of skin cancers - just like humans.  But, overall, white cats DO NOT have more health problems!  I have never heard of vision issues with white cats.  Blue eyed white cats will have a different, reddish, eyeshine that cats with non-blue eye color.  White is definitely associated with deafness, but cats with green/yellow eyes are more rarely deaf.

Lots of cats are heat seeking missiles - so - I do not think anything to do with being white.  Mine always liked sleeping beside the refrigerator!

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had a white cat (green eyes) who suffered with UV issues, especially his ears where there was less hair. Bright red and painful. Unfortunately, he was a sun bunny and craved the heat of the sun. Our vet told us that the cat had a "sun allergy" and to make sure to put sun screen on his ears before letting him out. While I don't have a white cat at the moment, I wouldn't mind one bit if one latched on to me at an animal shelter one day. My question: is human sunscreen okay to use on cats with white or light ears?

The vet also said that white cats in general were last in line when genes were handed out and even though we had a green-eyed white, to be extra careful with all meds, especially ear medication because he'd seen a number of white cats who had hearing in only one ear. Is this common?

Last edited:

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy ho Cat Lovers,

There is a mutation that is recessive - need a copy from mom and dad - that is albino white.  This is extremely rare and likely only in breeds.  Your kitty is most likely dominant white - one copy of one gene masks all the other colors since the cat does not have the right cells to make pigment.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have three white cats, and I use sunscreen on them in summer, even indoors because they love to sleep on the window sill, often lying on their backs with legs in the air! I use a total sun blocker suitable for babies on their ears, noses and tummies - wherever the fur is thinnest.

profleslielyons

TCS Member
Guest Expert
Purraise
Howdy ho Cat Lovers,

More on white cats.  By the way, you can test you white cat for the recessive albino mutation at:  www.vgl.ucdavis.edu

White cats are often deaf, but very little is documented about cats being deaf in only one ear.  More common perhaps if the cat had odd-eyes - one yellow and one blue.  Deafness would be more likely on the blue side. 

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know in dogs that are white or merle the deafness is caused by vascular degeneration in the ears that causes the nerve to die.  It doesn't affect all breeds, the samoyed for instance isn't any more likely to be deaf than other breeds.  I don't know if the same thing happens in cats.

People that work in dog rescue hate it when the movie 101 Dalmations is released again.  Dalmations aren't a good choice for a family with small children to begin with.  Because of the movie the kids want a white Dalmation and white Dalmations are almost always deaf.  Take a breed that isn't a good choice for small children to begin with, then have one that is deaf and the dog invariably ends up in a shelter.  It's really sad, the poor dog was just being who it is and ends up more than likely sentenced to death.