Whisper - Wild and Pregnant

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My heart is broken. One of the kittens died. We don’t know why. It was alive this morning and away from the others. My husband put it with its siblings, but it was by itself again when we got home from work. I picked it up to put it with the others again and it was stiff. Mouth was open. They had all just opened their eyes. I want to cry. I stroked it, hoping it would come back to life. I was in denial for a while. But I’ve come to terms that it’s life is gone. :(

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did I do something wrong? I did pick them up to see if I could tell boys from girls. And I picked them up to check on eyes. My hands were clean each time and it was very brief handling. Should I not touch them anymore?

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I showed Whisper her dead kitten. She wanted nothing to do with it. I put it in a paper bag and will be burying it tomorrow.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wanted to name it torch. It was all black with a white tip at the end of its tail. I’ve finally had my cry but I’m still in shock and still mourning. My husband and I were talking about it more. Trying to figure out what happened. It was alone away from the others and it was moving this morning. He put it with the others, but it crawled away back to were it was before. He put it back with the others again and this time it stayed. We went to work, but when we got home, it was alone again. I picked it up and it was stiff,... dead. We think something might have been wrong with it. Not sure what else it could have been.

Jewely

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, you absolutely didn’t do anything wrong. It’s most likely something was wrong like you have reasoned. The fact that momma wanted nothing to do with with him is another reason to think that. It’s heartbreaking, but kittens are very fragile, and you guys providing them all a safe home and love has given them a wonderfully safe future compared to life outdoors! I’m so sorry for the loss of the little ones life.

Yes, you can continue to handle them. You’ll need to keep their bedding clean and can even weigh them on a scale to make sure they’re gaining okay. You’re doing an amazing job!

Last edited:

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No, you absolutely didn’t do anything wrong. It’s most likely something was wrong like you have reasoned. The fact that momma wanted nothing to do with with him is another reason to think that. It’s heartbreaking, but kittens are very fragile, and you guys providing them all a safe home and love has given them a wonderfully safe future compared to life outdoors! I’m so sorry for the loss of the little ones life.

Yes, you can continue to handle them. You’ll need to keep their bedding clean and can even weigh them on a scale to make sure they’re gaining okay. You’re doing an amazing job!
Thank you for the encouragement. I really needed it. :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, you did absolutely nothing wrong. It must have had a genetic defect. This happens occasionally, and is so very sad, but no one’s fault. I’m so sorry, and please do continue to handle the babies. They need human contact.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you had to experience this. A puppy or kitten who is found away from the litter or relocated, as your little one seems to have been, is very likely to have had a defect or illness which made the mom reject it. You did nothing wrong at all. The rejection of the ill one is part of animal DNA in order to protect the other kittens, not draw predator attention to the sick one, etc. You are doing a great job with this mom and her babies.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately the kitten was away from mom so not nursing nor staying warm. I had a foster cat who gave birth to kittens and one kitten she kept away from the others. He just constantly cried. I tried to bottle feed him he refused, I kept him close to his mom to try and get him to nurse and sadly he still died. He was a breached birth that took awhile to come out and I think he aspirated that into his lungs. I did gently tap on his chest with the head down to get some gunk out after he was born and the nest day. Unfortunately it didn't help and was heart breaking to hear him cry and being a day old couldnt take him to the vet. Sadly deaths can be common in litters and theres nothing you can do :(

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your kind and encouraging words. It really makes me feel better. I buried the kitty in a paper bag and added a prayer inside as well. It is buried by a young peach sapling that isn’t doing well. I’m hoping the kitty will nourish the tree back to health. :)

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Kittens are playing with each other for the first time yesterday. I had to add an extra piece of cardboard where Whisper gets in and out because the kittens were trying to climb out. They will be 3 weeks on Saturday.
Whisper is able to roam free for the past two weeks. Her safe zone is the kitchen where I’ve made a barrier to keep the dog away. I’ll have to make a better play pen for when the kittens come out to play. There are little nooks and crannies for them to venture into.

When should they be allowed out to play?
And when will they start to regulate their own body temperature?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
They regulate their own temperature after 3 weeks, and they are also ready to explore and play at three weeks. You won’t be able to keep them in a box nor should you, so you’ll need to figure out where their area is to be free. For me it was my bedroom for a few more weeks.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I was thinking about removing the crate. Whisper is tame now and allows everyone in our home to pet her and her kittens. I’m going to make a cardboard barrier for them to stay safe in the kitchen.
Or should I keep the crate for their den? I won’t be able to watch them when I’m asleep.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If it is safest for them to be crated when you are asleep, I would do that until everyone is used to each other and the you are sure that the dog understands what is going on. I have used crates or safe rooms like bathrooms for a long time with kittens if there was any question of their safety.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
131090CC-678C-4496-9B5B-F1520D3219AD.jpeg

Mama cat is being very playful but it looks like she’s being a little rough with her kittens at play. Is this OK?