Whisper - Wild and Pregnant

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I started a thread under rescues and feral cats. Whisper is a stray whose trust I’ve gained over 4 months. She mated with a male black tabby cat in February. I’ve brought her in about a week and a half ago. She was not happy. Climbed the ceiling of the crate like a monkey trying to find a way out. (I’m using my dog’s old dog crate. 42”.) I have a Northern Inuit, Arya, female, almost 3. And another cat, Willow, female, 8. Anyway my question is about the birthing. It’s going to be messy so I should use an old towel, yes? And can I put it overtop her nice sofy blanket?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes. She seems content to do so. I’m able to pet her and she purrs and cooes at me. I want her kittens to be weaned before I get her vaccinated. Unless she could be vaccinated after she has them?
9C56F7B0-DBCE-4590-A14A-0CCA9E7DF986.jpeg

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She being a succesful ferale has probably the immune system high above average, so its no hurry with vaccines. But good you do it before you release her, if this is your plan. Deworming may be another thing... But use only dewormers you vet is recommending or OK:eing...

Its often easier to have them in a crate, they shy semiferales often feel it as more secure and safe. A good trick is as you suggested, to lay a blanket over the crate, so its more cozy.

Talk much with a calm, nice voice. Friendly toms do court with their voice, and momma cat has also many sounds for her kittens. So, friendly sounds are a language they do understand. But dont have radio on before you are sure she has landed, if ever.. But relaxing music is often helpful.

How is she with your residents? Had they seen each other? reactions? If she seems stressed by their presence, keep them away.

Otherwise its often good to let her see your friendship with your residents.... Gives an reinforcement to her beginning of the trust in you.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She is beautiful! :lovecat2:

She will be even calmer after she is spayed. Sounds like she’ll make someone a nice pet eventually, or do you plan to keep her?

Normally, cats are spayed and vaccinated when the kittens wean to soft foods around the eight week mark. She may go into heat again before then though, so do not let her outside.

You’ll want to kitten-proof a room as mom will need breaks from the kittens outside the crate, and at 3 weeks the kittens will need to leave the nest and begin to explore in a safe and contained room.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She being a succesful ferale has probably the immune system high above average, so its no hurry with vaccines. But good you do it before you release her, if this is your plan. Deworming may be another thing... But use only dewormers you vet is recommending or OK:eing...

Its often easier to have them in a crate, they shy semiferales often feel it as more secure and safe. A good trick is as you suggested, to lay a blanket over the crate, so its more cozy.

Talk much with a calm, nice voice. Friendly toms do court with their voice, and momma cat has also many sounds for her kittens. So, friendly sounds are a language they do understand. But dont have radio on before you are sure she has landed, if ever.. But relaxing music is often helpful.

How is she with your residents? Had they seen each other? reactions? If she seems stressed by their presence, keep them away.

Otherwise its often good to let her see your friendship with your residents.... Gives an reinforcement to her beginning of the trust in you.
She didn’t like my cat sniffing around at first, but she doesn’t mind now. My dog is super jealous. I have a barrier set up to keep her away from the crate. They just look at each other.
I have a large towel over the top of the crate. Some cardboard on the sides.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
She is beautiful! :lovecat2:

She will be even calmer after she is spayed. Sounds like she’ll make someone a nice pet eventually, or do you plan to keep her?

Normally, cats are spayed and vaccinated when the kittens wean to soft foods around the eight week mark. She may go into heat again before then though, so do not let her outside.

You’ll want to kitten-proof a room as mom will need breaks from the kittens outside the crate, and at 3 weeks the kittens will need to leave the nest and begin to explore in a safe and contained room.
I plan to keep her and give away the kittens. So 8 weeks will be adoption time? They should be totally weaned by then?

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Help with the birthing verses let nature take its course? I wouldn’t know how to help. I was just gonna let her do it on her own. Thoughts?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Kittens ideally need to stay with mom for 12 weeks. They will begin eating soft foods between 6-8 weeks. She can be spayed st 8 weeks but kittens may continue to nurse for longer in addition to eating soft foods.

I suggest that you read our articles at the top of the forum. They will give you tons of information on pregnancy and labor. Sometimes people need to help break a sac or cut a cord.

KittyJ

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Help with the birthing verses let nature take its course? I wouldn’t know how to help. I was just gonna let her do it on her own. Thoughts?
Most cats know what to do but some don't. If she doesn't do what she's supposed to, you'll need to help her.
I suggest that you read our articles at the top of the forum. They will give you tons of information on pregnancy and labor. Sometimes people need to help break a sac or cut a cord.
Yes, do your research.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! I learned a lot today! Just got done reading what I needed to know in the articles. But I need to know where it says...
“A clean litterbox should be placed in the same room, but far away from the nesting box and from the food and water bowls.”
Is my kitty’s box far enough away from her litter?
0642F68C-C266-41BC-AEB1-D6B846F0ECE7.jpeg

Her litter is located through the space she’s laying next to and you can see her box is on the other side. I can build a barrier if need be.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Do you have a spare room to let her out in? She seems pretty cramped in the crate.
I don’t. My place is small. I’d let her out to roam, but with my other cat and dog, I don’t want to chance it until she’s vaccinated.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don’t. My place is small. I’d let her out to roam, but with my other cat and dog, I don’t want to chance it until she’s vaccinated.
She’s in a 42” crate with an extra space outside the crate that holds her litter pan.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You cannot keep her crated indefinitely. Her kittens will need to come out of the crate after 3 weeks, and she needs some freedom. What are your options?

If your cat and dog are vaccinated, it should be safe to let her out.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You cannot keep her crated indefinitely. Her kittens will need to come out of the crate after 3 weeks, and she needs some freedom. What are your options?

If your cat and dog are vaccinated, it should be safe to let her out.
I’m in the process of buying a bigger place by that time. If not, I thought about investing in one of those kitty play pens.

Country Cat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As soon as she is tame enough and ready for vaccinations, she will have reign of the entire house. I’m adopting her and finding good homes for her kittens when they’re ready. I’ll look into that playpen.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, please do. She cannot live like this for long. As I said, if your pets are vaccinated, they are presumed immune. She also appears healthy, and you can get her snap-tested now for diseases.