Whiskers temptations cat treats

helsic

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I give those treats one or twice in a week to my kitten and he seems fine. He never get problems in his tummy

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I goggled the product and some AWFUL reviews and consumer complaints came up, saying they caused some cats to even deteriorate close to death. Was petrified yesterday!

Anyone else experienced this? 
I wonder now if the Temptations treats I was giving her was the cause of her deteriorating close to death a couple months ago...so hard to tell. Now that I just came across someone posting about Temptations treats (maybe you in a different thread?), I think I will stop giving them to my cat. I do give her freeze-dried treats as well and also Feline Greenies. Thanks for posting!

Last edited:

BonitaBaby

Emotional Support Cat "Owner"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Everyone is careful with food but forget about the junky treats they might be feeding!
Yes! Exactly. Since it's supposed to be a "treat", it seems okay, but it's not. :( If it was the Temptations, then those cheap treats ended up costing a few thousand dollars. :doh3:

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's getting so that I don't know what to buy to feed my family any more!  The recalls happen with greater and greater frequency, and every time there's a recall, the prices skyrocket.  I am at the edge of affordability already regarding what I buy; and as for the proponents of raw diets, I don't trust that, either.  Raw food in the wild, before this planet and all its systems and living beings were polluted/corrupted, is one thing; raw food obtained from factory-farmed animals is quite another.  When are we going to demand and receive a safe food supply, for our beloved feline family members as well as ourselves, at prices we can actually afford?  *Rhetorical, of course; I don't expect a real answer!*

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I wonder now if the Temptations treats I was giving her was the cause of her deteriorating close to death a couple months ago...so hard to tell. Now that I just came across someone posting about Temptations treats (maybe you in a different thread?), I think I will stop giving them to my cat. I do give her freeze-dried treats as well and also Feline Greenies. Thanks for posting!
I no longer feed Tempatation Treats .  As you know the ingredient list is extremely long and fine print , well I neglected to read all the way to the bottom and recently discovered that they use BHA/BHT preservatives . Very bad stuff .. I felt horrible that I was giving those to my babies as I never want to feed anything like that to them ..

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise
I realize this thread is a little old, but my middle-aged (only) cat, who almost never even coughs a hairball ,and does not go outside, has been throwing up and lethargic now since yesterday .He  has been eating TEmptation treats for a long time, and as described on the consumeraffairs website on which I googled Temptation Treats, has begun reacting to them. He seems a bit improved today, and I've been feeding him only small amounts of wet food with NO treats. He loved the temptation ones so much, and it all makes sense now with the addictive behavior where he would sit and beg, pull on my clothes, for them.  I bought a new bag a few days ago; had stockpiled some before that so hadn't bought any for a while... He at first loved them as usual (I throw them for him to chase, so he gets some exercise). Then after the first day, he would run after them, sometimes put them in his mouth and spit them out, or else just look at them and come back to me. Then yesterday he threw up so much liquid, although dark, I thought he had urinated on my living room carpet,   (which he has NEVER done. A poster child for the litter box in fact). But as I sopped it up, I realized there were tiny pieces of food mixed in. The last spot was just foam. No hairballs. He threw up several times after that during the day. Last night he for the first time all night crowded up against my leg, between myself & my husband.  I petted & brushed him several times, and he did not move.  Never got up all night.  This morning he did get up to follow my husband to the kitchen, and we gave him only a teaspoon of wet food, which seems to have satisfied him.  He is sleeping again, and that's not unusual but he is in a hunched up posture instead o stretched out.  I hope all will look at the consumer affairs web comments on Temptation treats, as it describes my experience (and worse) over and over and over. ? I haven't taken Lucky to the vet because he is so extremely terrified of it I'm holding off. But  Beware!  Does anyone else have any comments? This is the link to consumer affairs Temptation treats. I'm not good at this so I hope it works.  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/whiskas-cat-food.html 
I would love to hear some current comments from others.
Did Lucky recover after you stopped the temptations?

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, he did. He's a happy, frisky, bossy cat again.  I give him (only) Blue treats now. Since they're soft I break them in half and throw them as far as I can for a little exercise, which he loves.  He can tell which way (forward or behind me) I'm going to throw them by the way I turn my wrist. I do give him several in this manner most every evening.

typicallyemily

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please do not give your cats these treats, especially the wild salmon flavor. My family has suddenly lost two cats and we have reasonable suspect that these treats caused their deaths.

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Please do not give your cats these treats, especially the wild salmon flavor. My family has suddenly lost two cats and we have reasonable suspect that these treats caused their deaths.
This might be coincidence, but I'm noticing that my cat seems to barf more right around the time he gets these treats. I recently gave him just 2 for 2/3 days in a row and on day 4 he barfed up all his dry food in a huge mess and later spat up a tiny bit of more liquified vomit.

I'm withholding these Th

Oh!! That's awful!! So so sorry!!! [emoji]128546[/emoji][emoji]128546[/emoji]
I've read a lot of bad stuff about these treats. Mind you, my cat will throw them up if I give him more than 5 at a time, but I've not seen any other issues. But he doesn't get them (didn't--past tense) often.

Did you run some blood tests to see what might have cause your cats sudden death? [emoji]128532[/emoji]

misterwhiskers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those looking for healthier treats, you might want to consider Bravo. My cat wouldn't touch them at first; then I smeared a little hairball stuff on one. My cats gold standard for the "yum" factor is how he eats his treat. If he refuses to let it touch the ground, that's his gold standard sign the treat us as good as fresh cooked chicken breast. He does not let Bravo touch the ground; Temptations is immediately dropped to the ground. Bravo is 100% real chicken (or meat depending on flavor). No barf--ever, by the way.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those looking for healthier treats, you might want to consider Bravo. My cat wouldn't touch them at first; then I smeared a little hairball stuff on one. My cats gold standard for the "yum" factor is how he eats his treat. If he refuses to let it touch the ground, that's his gold standard sign the treat us as good as fresh cooked chicken breast. He does not let Bravo touch the ground; Temptations is immediately dropped to the ground. Bravo is 100% real chicken (or meat depending on flavor). No barf--ever, by the way.
My cats love the Bravo freeze dried raw treats as well, I give them the turkey treats. :)

plan

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
My cat goes crazy for Temptations, especially the Surfer's Delight flavor. After reading this I'll take a second look, but it's difficult to gauge whether there's any real effect based on a few anecdotes. On the one hand I don't want to give him anything that'll harm him, but he's got a generally good diet, he gets wet food twice a day and dry as a supplement, and he seems to be getting enough moisture.

bobberandebony

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I lost one of my two best friends this summer - my sweet cat Bobber. Now my Ebony is very sick, and my vet has seen 3 cats recently with the same symptoms. All cats have one thing in common - Temptation All Natural treats. He is constipated and was severely dehydrated. Bobber loved these treats. I feel sick and heartbroken. So sorry to read your story.

kitty kisser

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cats eat Friskies Party Mix treats I know they are junk but they will do anything for them (like tricks).
I used to feed blue buffalo kitty yums but I received a recall notice on them not to long ago. Only one cat liked the kitty yums looking for better treats soon still have 1/2 a bag of the Friskies original party mix.

ginny

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, thank you for the good and scary information being passed on here!  I'm so sorry for the loss of your kitties who have possibly died from these treats.  When I started going grain-free for my kitties, especially my seizure boy Nat and my rotund Oreo, I didn't realize how their favorite treats, Temptations, had so much wheat gluten and other stuff that 's not good for them.  I stopped it altogether a couple of months ago.  They still haven't forgiven me and still expect me to dole it out to them every evening like clock-work, but they are getting over it.  I've tried the real meat freeze-dried kind.  They sniff it, shiver, and walk away :(  They will leave it in the bowl to rot.  Which proves you can lead a kitty to a species-appropriate treat, but you cannot make him eat it.  

pawprints1986

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Boo gets a few of the seafood flavor after her fluids. Have never noticed anything strange from maybe 4-5, a couple times a week. She loves them, absolute favorite.

I'm sure every company has had bad reviews at some point... :/

windstar350

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have noticed that my male cat Albert does not tolerate this treats. I am going to stop giving them to him and to the female. Even though they

love it. Albert almost always toss it up, with 1 hour. I only even give the 4 off these at a time.

What do you suggest is a better alternative? A healthy one.

Thanks for the advice.