Whiskers temptations cat treats

jokeyte

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone given their cat these treats?

I gave my 7 month old some and she had an upset tummy.

I goggled the product and some AWFUL reviews and consumer complaints came up, saying they caused some cats to even deteriorate close to death. Was petrified yesterday!

Anyone else experienced this? 

pushylady

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My cats have eaten them for years too with no problems. I don't give them many these days. We try to give healthier treats like freeze dried meat instead.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats have eaten them for years too with no problems. I don't give them many these days. We try to give healthier treats like freeze dried meat instead.
Sardines (canned, in water) are great too!

pangurban

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm still trying to figure out what the best cat treat is for our furbabies. So far Pangur gobbles pretty much everything and JC has been picky. Right now I have been feeding them Greenies for hairball control, freeze dried turkey, and these Wellness treats. They also like to eat a pinch of catnip every other day or so.

Last edited:

scorpgirl68

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

I goggled the product and some AWFUL reviews and consumer complaints came up, saying they caused some cats to even deteriorate close to death. Was petrified yesterday!

I have two sick kitties right now and it may be just coincidence but they both get the treats. Or at least they did until now.  They have never thrown up or had diarrhea but are now exhibiting symptoms I attributed to stress but maybe it is these treats. Maybe not. I just read the same complaints and only stumbled upon them while searching for something else. I am out of my mind right now. I have follow up vet appts for them both, I hope test results don't show anything bad. To be on the safe side, I wouldn't give any more to your fur baby.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise

Buy a 5 lb bag of orijen dry and give pieces as treats. Temptations not good

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I realize this thread is a little old, but my middle-aged (only) cat, who almost never even coughs a hairball ,and does not go outside, has been throwing up and lethargic now since yesterday .He  has been eating TEmptation treats for a long time, and as described on the consumeraffairs website on which I googled Temptation Treats, has begun reacting to them. He seems a bit improved today, and I've been feeding him only small amounts of wet food with NO treats. He loved the temptation ones so much, and it all makes sense now with the addictive behavior where he would sit and beg, pull on my clothes, for them.  I bought a new bag a few days ago; had stockpiled some before that so hadn't bought any for a while... He at first loved them as usual (I throw them for him to chase, so he gets some exercise). Then after the first day, he would run after them, sometimes put them in his mouth and spit them out, or else just look at them and come back to me. Then yesterday he threw up so much liquid, although dark, I thought he had urinated on my living room carpet,   (which he has NEVER done. A poster child for the litter box in fact). But as I sopped it up, I realized there were tiny pieces of food mixed in. The last spot was just foam. No hairballs. He threw up several times after that during the day. Last night he for the first time all night crowded up against my leg, between myself & my husband.  I petted & brushed him several times, and he did not move.  Never got up all night.  This morning he did get up to follow my husband to the kitchen, and we gave him only a teaspoon of wet food, which seems to have satisfied him.  He is sleeping again, and that's not unusual but he is in a hunched up posture instead o stretched out.  I hope all will look at the consumer affairs web comments on Temptation treats, as it describes my experience (and worse) over and over and over. ? I haven't taken Lucky to the vet because he is so extremely terrified of it I'm holding off. But  Beware!  Does anyone else have any comments? This is the link to consumer affairs Temptation treats. I'm not good at this so I hope it works.  http://www.consumeraffairs.com/pets/whiskas-cat-food.html  

I would love to hear some current comments from others.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 he is in a hunched up posture instead o stretched out
This is something to worry about.   This is a sign he's definitely not feeling well.    Is he pooping okay?   Also sounds like he's throwing up bile.    I went thru this with my last cat and he was severely constipated from only eating dry food.  He threw up and couldn't poop properly.

Sounds like you really need to get him to the vet as soon as you can. 

Good luck with him.  Poor baby.

Last edited:

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He pooped yesterday some hard little knots; he's always been a somewhat constipated cat,altho he seems to drink a good amount of water usually. Not as much the last two days, especially after he had the wet vomiting episode.  H'e has  been urinating maybe not as much as usual. He just now stood up and stretched and laid back down stlll hunched tho.  When we first got him he was a 5-6 mo old feral fresh from a dumpster colony, and as he began to come out to us, this was always his sleeping posture. Over the years he has learned I guess to trust us, me in particular, as I'm his special one, and just this year was stretching out & sleeping like a regular cat, on his side and all. He never gets on a lap so that's not unusual. But he hasn't thrown up since yesterday.  If he is still strange tomorrow I will take him to our vet, who also treats cats at one of the local shelters, and understands that even tho he has mellowed so much with us, he is still a scared feral.  I usually have kibble out which he seems to love, but took it away yesterday and decided to feed him only very small amounts of wet food but frequently, on demand so to speak. Please everyone read the consumer affairs website on the treats.

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
 e pooped yesterday some hard little knots; 
Yeah, if they are hard small pieces and he's sleeping only hunched up then it definitely sounds like he's constipated.  Poor thing must be uncomfortable.  My last cat had this problem and it was very tough to see him like this. 

I'd get rid of the dry.  Its what caused the problem with mine.   I also fed him the Temptation treats.  I thought I was doing good by feeding the hairball formula but there's so little in there combined with the junk, I think they are useless. 

You can try can pumpkin or those hairball gel remedies they sell at pet stores.  Maybe help him today until you can get him to vet. 

Just make sure he's peeing.  That is life threatening if he's not.  Hope the vet can help him out. 

Good luck 

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. I have given him pumpkin in the past a few times, as I keep a close eye on his litterbox.  But last night  I tried putting a teaspoon of  canned tuna and pumpkin mixed together and he did whatwe call the "backup dance". Later I did  substitute a teaspoon full of plain tuna for his wet food which I was rationing, and he ate that as he usually would.  We normally feed him about  a tablespoon of wet food for breakfast and dinner, and leave the kibble out in between.  He does like the kibble.He usually does drink a good amount of water also.  He's a good sized cat, but doesn't seem to be putting on excess weight., so I've continued to leave t he kibble out except for the last couple of days. Does the hairball gel make them poop, not just for hairballs?

lokhismom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The gel doesn't make him poop, it helps lubricate so hopefully he can pass the poop.     It might help but if the cat is severely backed up he may need the vet to do a enema.

My vet suggested Metamucil to help my cat but I always had a hard time getting him to eat it with his food so I don't think it helped much for him.   Maybe others here can tell of their experience with human laxatives. 

You're lucky your cat already eats wet.  That should be all you feed him now instead of the dry.  The problem will continue with the dry, especially with male cats. 

luckybabycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you Lokhismom. Took Lucky to vet yesterday afternoon, didn't feel impacted poop, concerned about not drinking, scanty urine, vomiting, lethargy.Very slight fever.  Thought the absence/low amount of poop was direct result of vomiting, & not eating much.  Gave me choice of keeping Lucky there for treatment/observation  or treating him & taking him home.  I took him home. Lucky did not come out from under the bed for several hours, until he smelled me cooking pork cutlets. He had a few crumbs of that. I'm trying to still keep it light.  (He will absolutely only eat cooked food, or his cat food)  Dr. injected liquid under skin for hydration, took blood samples, and called me this a.m. White count up a little, which he thought might be result of dental problems he saw...plaque with red gum line, and one tooth on side that actually wiggled. Liver function normal, kidney function normal. Said to keep feeding him only   the wet and try adding a little water as tolerated to the wet. I did get a little pumpkin down him by adding parmesan which Lucky loves. Will do that again when I get home from work, as he actually pooped 4  tiny round, pointed on one end, pieces during the night. So right now Lucky is $229 better.  The dental should run approx $500 in 2-3 weeks. Of course I guess I can't blame the dental part on Temptations, but I do hope that everyone will read the posts re those Whiskas Temptation Treats, not recalled, on Consumeraffairs website. Really, really frightening with dozens of cat owners having very similar experience as mine, some involving death of their beloved pets.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our furmily gets them nightly.  I would not be here if they didn't 
  We've never had any problems whatsoever with them, except that they may love them too much 

bigperm20

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never had a problem with them either, but mine only get 4 or 5 pieces per day. Maybe that small amount has made a difference.

I'll just give them a few pieces of kibble instead from now on.

bonepicker

Animal Lover Extraordinare
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you Lokhismom. Took Lucky to vet yesterday afternoon, didn't feel impacted poop, concerned about not drinking, scanty urine, vomiting, lethargy.Very slight fever.  Thought the absence/low amount of poop was direct result of vomiting, & not eating much.  Gave me choice of keeping Lucky there for treatment/observation  or treating him & taking him home.  I took him home. Lucky did not come out from under the bed for several hours, until he smelled me cooking pork cutlets. He had a few crumbs of that. I'm trying to still keep it light.  (He will absolutely only eat cooked food, or his cat food)  Dr. injected liquid under skin for hydration, took blood samples, and called me this a.m. White count up a little, which he thought might be result of dental problems he saw...plaque with red gum line, and one tooth on side that actually wiggled. Liver function normal, kidney function normal. Said to keep feeding him only   the wet and try adding a little water as tolerated to the wet. I did get a little pumpkin down him by adding parmesan which Lucky loves. Will do that again when I get home from work, as he actually pooped 4  tiny round, pointed on one end, pieces during the night. So right now Lucky is $229 better.  The dental should run approx $500 in 2-3 weeks. Of course I guess I can't blame the dental part on Temptations, but I do hope that everyone will read the posts re those Whiskas Temptation Treats, not recalled, on Consumeraffairs website. Really, really frightening with dozens of cat owners having very similar experience as mine, some involving death of their beloved pets.

All dry food will do damage. Cats are not designed to absorb dry food.