Kitten Digging Near Food Bowl & Other Issues

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Our 9 weeks old kitten likes to dig near her food bowl. Her dish is fairly flat, but she digs in the dry food and then eats it off the floor. BTW, had her at vet for 1st round of shots yesterday and she has doubled her weight since we found her 3 weeks ago, she weighed in at a whopping 2 pounds! Still has the jerks/body hiccups going on & no voice. Vet said as long she eats & drinks water, uses the litter box and plays she is okay. We bought her a fountain and she drinks often now. Trying to find food combo that works best. Giving her 1/3 can of kitten wet food and blue buffalo dry food out for whenever she's hungry. We absolutely adore her. :-) Is ok if she isn't perfect

Last edited by a moderator:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah thx for the actual reason for this!

I never knew or forgot, so when my wife asked why, I usually told her "as long he doesnt take a dump right there, don't care." Although thats still true :lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
:) That's really good advice! We r in the process of getting her wet food bowl, dry food bowl & water fountain situated in a spot where we won't trip on them. I'm not going to worry too much about spilled dry food. Still working on getting to know her habits and quirks.

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I just noticed that our 9 week old kitten's whiskers look like they've been cut off! Just little stubbles. Help?

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could have rubbed against something and they snapped off, it happens. Is it one side or both? Is he kept in an enclosure?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I just noticed that our 9 week old kitten's whiskers look like they've been cut off! Just little stubbles. Help?
In addition to V verna davies ‘s suggestion and questions, do you have another cat or kittens that might be overgrooming your kitten’s face? My elderly cat overgrooms my younger cat’s face and actually chews off her whiskers!

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All of your help is so appreciated. We don't know if this is new, or if she's been like this since she found us about 3 weeks ago. Both sides of mouth and all are gone, little stubble is there, like they were cut off. This little one appeared at our house, just skin and bones weighing just .8 of a pound at 4-5 weeks old. We don't know what might have happened to her..........vet didn't notice either. She did have a 104 fever for about a week; she lost her voice and now twitches constantly. She's a mystery in so many ways. She now weighs 2 lbs is active and thriving!

JAG

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since my little stray girl is growing and getting healthier she is playing, running, crazy behavior is becoming more evident. I've used the suggestions from others and for the most part they work. She's now about 9 weeks, we think, still has the twitching problem but I think it bothers us more than it does her; and she still is unable to meow. We think her crazy behavior is much like the Terrible Twos were when raising our boys :-) She's still skittish, hides sometimes, but is also more cuddly more often. Patience will be key to allow her to become the wonderful cat we know she can be. We don't know what she went through in the 3-5 weeks before she found us so every show of affection and trust is a huge step in the right direction. I'm 71, and am still trying to figure out how to attach a picture of our Baby Blue.
Thanks to all who bring such wise advice to this forum.