Whiska's Senior?

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
A friend's 15-year-old Maine Coone has always gotten premium food, and for the past few years premium senior food. Recently he was vomiting quite a bit, and underwent a whole series of tests in an animal clinic. She was told to take him off the premium food, and to give him plain old canned Whiska's Senior. Lo and behold, he's no longer vomiting. Has anybody had a similar experience? I've always avoided Whiska's as being an inferior food, and difficult for some cats to digest (based on the amount of waste in the litter box). My friend was told that it's "highly digestible", and better than its reputation.

petnurse2265

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I had not heard that, but my cats like some of the Whiska's flavors, though they only get a small amount.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,

I could not find an ingredients list for this food, but my feeling is if it doesn't contain a particular carb that this cat was reacting to in the premium foods, it would explain why it's no longer vomitting. Descriptions of senior whiskas did note use of oils such as sunflower oil, perhaps more easily digested fat source for this cat?
I did find something fascinating...a whiskas organic! It may only be available in Europe, as I have not seen this in the US, and this is a UK site..here is the lnk (it sounds good!):
click here though it did not give an ingredients list, which I'd want to see.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

Hi,

I could not find an ingredients list for this food, but my feeling is if it doesn't contain a particular carb that this cat was reacting to in the premium foods, it would explain why it's no longer vomitting. Descriptions of senior whiskas did note use of oils such as sunflower oil, perhaps more easily digested fat source for this cat?
I did find something fascinating...a whiskas organic! It may only be available in Europe, as I have not seen this in the US, and this is a UK site..here is the lnk (it sounds good!):
click here though it did not give an ingredients list, which I'd want to see.
The Whiska's organic is available in Germany in pouches. The ingredients are listed as: veal 4%, rabbit 4%, grain, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, sugar, and vegetable by-products. That doesn't throw too much light on the matter, but 8% meat is too little, IMO, and I won't feed anything with sugar in it. "Grain" is too general - Jamie can't eat soy.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yuck..the sugar is an automatic no for me. What a shame - they had a good chance to get it right! Why bother with the organic aspect then <shaking head>

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The thing is, Msr. le Duc is apparently doing quite well on Whiskas Senior.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

The thing is, Msr. le Duc is apparently doing quite well on Whiskas Senior.
I'll have to check out whiskas next time I am at the store, now I am curious what the senior formula has in it

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pat & Alix

I'll have to check out whiskas next time I am at the store, now I am curious what the senior formula has in it
I checked today, and it doesn't sound any better than the organic variety: meat and meat by-products (at least 4% beef/poultry/lamb), grain, vegetable protein extracts, minerals, sugar, vegetable by-products.