While I'm At It, My Feral Kitten Is Now 8 Months Old...

luvcats222

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a good experience with my first feral. Even though he had a broken leg and I nursed in for 3 months in a crate, and 2 more in the room, he hissed at me every single time. I had agreed to take in my first kitten (a rescue) at the same time I caught him. So I put up a screen door and they became best friends throughout the whole thing (I couldn't let kitten in because cat had to rest leg). He is now with me for 4 years and he loves me. So when I saw a feral kitten outside, I took it in (thinking I could adopt it out). She is with me for 5 months now and seems comfortable with the other three cats (yes, I took in a stray as well). However, she still runs from me. I need and want to be able to pick her up or at least pet her. I feed her cheese that she loves (a few pieces in the morning). I play with her with her favorite toys, but she still runs. Will she ever come around? Does anyone have any suggestions? Also, what is the best way to catch her? Are there any special things I can do?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried using a homemade pet petter? I made one out of an old wand toy. I just wrapped a clean soft sock around the end and secured with duct tape. I then wrapped it again in a soft flannel. I first off used it as a toy. When the cat had it's back to me, I would gently touch the cat with the soft tip. Just for a brief moment. Then back to playing. I kept doing this. After a day or so the cat was getting used to it and I started to gently move the wand over the cats back. It is much easier to do this when their back is to you. If they see it coming, it may frighten them. It usually doesn't take long for them to learn to enjoy the feeling. I then would start to pull the wand toy towards me and replace the wand with my hand. This process can take several weeks, but often works. I will put a picture below of the one I made and how of me using on one of my feral boys.

Why do you need to catch her? If it is for a vet visit, you can start to feed her in a carrier. Also vets can prescribe gabapentin that make a cat very mellow. It is how I get all of my feral cats to the vet.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi luvcats222.

There's another person posting about her work on socializing a feral cat.....I'll give you one post of hers with a video that may provide some ideas: Foster Kitten Adventure (1 Sweet + 1 Feral)

Notice how she takes every opportunity to get 'hands on' the feral and that it becomes more and more often.

If you go through the rest of that thread it could be helpful to see other strategies.