Which way do I go for gabapentin dosage?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I have gabapentin fast dissolving 'pills', compounded by a local pharmacy, that are 50 mg a piece, but there is a whole lot of 'residue' left in the bag they came in - which is obviously part of the original 60 'pills' I bought (at over $1 per 'pill'). As of today, I have only used about 50 doses. So, obviously, I want to be able to use the residue.

I know, based on the small tsps I have that generally speaking 1/32 of tsp is about 31-32 mg; 1/16 tsp is about 62-63 mg. I don't know which way to go - lower on the 1/32 tsp side or higher on the 1/16 tsp side. I guess I can always not completely fill 1/16 tsp to get closer to 50 mg????

I have sent a request for help from the pharmacy, to see what they say about how to split the powder residue. And, btw, going to ask for tablets for the refill! Would highly recommend anyone considering this form of gabapentin to forgo it as an option!!

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just in case it benefits anyone down the road - the compounding pharmacy said it is not as simple as just measuring out the 'pill dust' to equal Feeby's 50mg dose. There are other 'ingredients' in the compounded 'pills' so I would never know really how much actual pain med she is getting vs. the extra ingredients.

I will say dealing with a local compounding pharmacy is nice from the fact that they are delivering more of these compounded pills to me for free today to make up for the dust. Hopefully, I can keep these from going to dust...

And, as I said before, we are moving onto another medium. The bad news about dealing with a local compounding pharmacy is that they don't have gaba in any form of crushable tablet, so I am stuck with the liquid form now - adding 'bacon' flavor in the hopes that will go over OK with Feeby.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
There is always a catch! I would not have thought of the pill dust to be an incomplete dose. I was given liquid gabapentin when I had my last cat neutered. Somehow I managed to get some in the side of his mouth as he ate something tasty. But it was also not crucial that he get it and was only for a very short period of time....