which type of dog do you have with your cats?

delilah_blue

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Years ago I had a brushcoat Sharpei who was 100% dangerous around small animals. We didn't have any kitties in our household while she was with us for that reason. My other Sharpei, a horsecoat who we just put to sleep in April, was completely trustworthy and seemed to have no prey drive whatsoever. She just completely ignored my kitty Delilah. Currently we have a young English Bulldog, and while he doesn't mean any harm we do have to watch him with the kitties as he can be too rough sometimes. 3yo Delilah wants nothing to do with him anyway, but I'm afraid that little 7 week old Blue might get squashed! So we watch them pretty closely.

catloverin_ks

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a gold ret, a boxer and also a pit bull. All of which are great with the kittys.
All though they do like to chase them every now and again when they get the chance.

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Stockey is a pit bull. We adopted him from the Humane Society almost four years ago when he was about 7. He's by far the best dog I've ever had: obedient, fun-loving, intelligent, and a friend to all humans. He's also a Canine Good Citizen and registered therapy dog (retired now).

We've done two intros with him to our little foster kitten, Lusa. He's reacted very well to her so far and I'm hopeful that we can integrate her into the family.

Here's Stockey sporting his winter wear (yes, I dress up my pit bull
).

and enjoying a game of fetch:

krazycatlover

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have an aussie heeler mix her name is Chloe
She is my baby.

I also have a mut dog. Im not really sure what kind he is. I think he might be a pit mis. His name is Cash but we call him Boy. lol

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Does anyone here have a Border Collie? Or other herding dog? I think that's what our new puppy is, and he's real interested in the cats!

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My husband and I fostered a Border Collie named Ishtar while we were in college. She was a very beautiful, active, and clever dog. Ishtar was by far the smartest dog I've ever met. She had endless energy and would, as my husband jokingly put it, "use her power for evil" when we didn't give her enough exercise. Back then, we were unware of agility training or flyball, so we played fetch, walked, and jogged with her. And jogged. And jogged. 5 mile runs were nothing to her, just a warm up. She would run in wide circles around us as we were running with her and occasionally nip our heels in an attempt to herd us and our terrier mix
Oh, and she'd give us "the eye." Ishtar was a better mouser than our terrier mix, too. She was fine with my cat.

Her forever home was a perfect match for her -- a married couple living on a small ranch. The wife loved the breed and had just lost her male. Ishtar got to run as much as she wanted and was allowed to sleep on the couple's bed at the end of the day.

I've heard complaints that AKC Border Collies don't have nearly as much energy/drive as their counterparts from working stock.

Your pup looks like a Border Collie/Shepherd mix to me, but sometimes it's hard to tell. Has he tried to herd you or the cats yet?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by EagleEye

My husband and I fostered a Border Collie named Ishtar while we were in college. She was a very beautiful, active, and clever dog. Ishtar was by far the smartest dog I've ever met. She had endless energy and would, as my husband jokingly put it, "use her power for evil" when we didn't give her enough exercise. Back then, we were unware of agility training or flyball, so we played fetch, walked, and jogged with her. And jogged. And jogged. 5 mile runs were nothing to her, just a warm up. She would run in wide circles around us as we were running with her and occasionally nip our heels in an attempt to herd us and our terrier mix
Oh, and she'd give us "the eye." Ishtar was a better mouser than our terrier mix, too. She was fine with my cat.

Her forever home was a perfect match for her -- a married couple living on a small ranch. The wife loved the breed and had just lost her male. Ishtar got to run as much as she wanted and was allowed to sleep on the couple's bed at the end of the day.

I've heard complaints that AKC Border Collies don't have nearly as much energy/drive as their counterparts from working stock.

Your pup looks like a Border Collie/Shepherd mix to me, but sometimes it's hard to tell. Has he tried to herd you or the cats yet?
Oh my goodness, yes! I don't know how I ever knew how to come down the stairs without a puppy bumping the backs of my legs to help me!

Nadette is his "herd" right now. He herds her to her spot, makes her lie down, licks her, and then "stands guard". I saw him do the "eye" to her a couple days ago. He was waiting for a word from me, and I told him "easy" or "off" or something, and he didn't chase her that time!

persi & alley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am done with dogs but the last dog I had was sired by a black lab and the bitch was a weinerdog! He was cute and got along quite well with the cats, but of course the cats ruled the roost. I really enjoyed having the two cats and one dog, but now I have just setteled into one kitten, but gosh, I change my mind about everything every day. My wife and I leave town a lot, and dogs cannot handle this so we just have a cat right now.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Stockey is a pit bull. We adopted him from the Humane Society almost four years ago when he was about 7. He's by far the best dog I've ever had: obedient, fun-loving, intelligent, and a friend to all humans. He's also a Canine Good Citizen and registered therapy dog (retired now).

We've done two intros with him to our little foster kitten, Lusa. He's reacted very well to her so far and I'm hopeful that we can integrate her into the family.

Here's Stockey sporting his winter wear (yes, I dress up my pit bull
).

and enjoying a game of fetch:
I just LOVE your dog!
I am a huge fan of pit bulls.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 2 dogs. Jada 13 month old Beagle/Jack Russell mix and Buddy 2 1/2 year old Aussie/Cocker mix. They both get along great with the cats.

angelkitty

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two dogs!! One Rottweiler / Lab Mix, Sheba, she is gonna be 2 in April. She is scared to death of the cats!!! They scare her to the point she hides her eyes.... It's quite funny,, my big ol 4 lb cats scare a 75 lb rotmix.

And we have Meeko,, he's a 4 year old, Chocolate Cocker Spaniel....

We have 3 cats, Angel, Chestnut, and a baby runt, Kella, and a stray,, right now,, his name is Alex....

My dogs are halfer,, half in the house, and half outside...

eagleeye

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Miagi's_Mommy

I just LOVE your dog!
I am a huge fan of pit bulls.
Why, thank you! That's very kind of you. My husband and I are blessed to have found Stockey. We appreciate each day we have with him.

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful breed when well-bred, well-trained, and responsibly owned. Unfortunately, there are many unethical and careless breeders (and owners) out there, and their actions have tarnished the breed's reputation. Hopefully, it's not beyond repair.

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Why, thank you! That's very kind of you. My husband and I are blessed to have found Stockey. We appreciate each day we have with him.

The American Pit Bull Terrier is a wonderful breed when well-bred, well-trained, and responsibly owned. Unfortunately, there are many unethical and careless breeders (and owners) out there, and their actions have tarnished the breed's reputation. Hopefully, it's not beyond repair.
you're quite welcome!
yeah, I know what you mean..it sucks so much!
they so shouldn't have to pay their lives because of irresponsible idiots!
I want to own a pit bull someday. that is my dream dog. after I do my research of course.

4crazycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Does anyone here have a Border Collie? Or other herding dog? I think that's what our new puppy is, and he's real interested in the cats!
My old dog. Mariah (died in Feb.) was a Lab/Border Collie mix. She had the BC personality. She would herd every animal she saw. And also had a very high prey drive. She was fine with my cats but all others better watch out. Buddy (current) is Aussie/Cocker mix. He has the Aussie temperment. He herds even more then Mariah. He even tries to people. We are trying to break him of that though. He is fine with my cats. But if any of them runs from him I have to call him to me because he will run after them. I dont know what he would do so I dont let him do it. I know with strange cats he will attack them if they run from him.

nixx_sixx

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a rotty/dobermen with my kitty and they get along great. they love eachother!

jrosler04

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We have lots of dogs with the cats here!

We do animal rescue here in our home..and we were fostering for a siberian husky rescue..and we had anywhere from 1-4 full grown -puppy huskies here at once!

OUR dogs though...Magic is a boston terrier mix..and she LOVES the cats..even tries to nurse the kittens! (even though she is spayed!! she is an odd dog!)

We have 2 Great Danes... ICE is 150 lb male... our siamese slept on his nose when he was just a kitten! lol

and Destiny is about 80 lbs at 7 months..and she likes to try to "play" with them...but she NEVER EVER bites...they climb all over her!

Autumn sleeps with the cats curled up wth her, she is a full-out mutt!!

Jazmyn~beagle/australian sheppard mmix....she is the most "Untrustworthy" around them..and all she does is lick them..but she makes me nervous around the little ones!