which type of dog do you have with your cats?

tilly tiger

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
its just a question i thought i would ask. i have a 8 and half year old jack russel bitch that has been brought up with cats and was wonderin if anybody else has dogs with their quite litlle ones

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had a dog, and usually had a indoor/outdoor cat both were usually shelter adoptees other then the boxer I had. I haven't had any trouble with them that a little time and patience didn't cure. I can't have a dog right now, and I have strickly indoor cats now, but intend to get a dog when I move and don't intend to "get rid" of the cats, or the dog if they "fight" my cats are pretty laid back except for my queen when she has kittens, then she is pretty vicious, I would probley be sure to get a puppy/dog when she doesn't have any, but I will always have cats and dogs, and eventually they will get along or will learn to hate each other nicely
(obviously I wouldn't go and adopt a dog that is a known cat killer or any thing, some times they just won't get a long I know)

Oh and the last two dogs I had with my cats were a boxer and a shep/dobie mix
I had a black spep with my cats I have now she was a pound puppy at 8 months and very protective of me ad became attached so badly when I would show her she got aggressive, and when they talked about her "time being up", she came home with me.

KitEKats4Eva!

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have two crazy Labradoodles with our kitters.

They're not so good with the cats yet. Chester is ok - he's by nature a more mellow dog. But Ruby just wants to play with everything and the kitties hate that!

momofmany

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have 2 littermate brothers, Sam and Spike who are about 2-1/2 years old. Their mom was an Irish Setter mix and we think that Sam and Spike were sired with different fathers. Their mom was a poor girl that had been dumped outside by her owner and the Humane Society tried to catch her for 2 years without success. She had 3 litters during that time and while they caught her puppies, she always escaped. With her last litter of 11 pups, a vet came out and used a dart gun to sedate her and caught her. The story made the newspaper. Sam looks mostly like a Golden Retriever (with a bit of setter mixed in). Spike looks mostly like a Black Lab but with the curly hair of a setter. They are absolutely best friends.

They play mostly with each other but are the protectors of the cats. When we just moved to the new house, the ferals didn't come out from under the porch until the dogs were outside and running around. They then explored the yard with the dogs. It was actually quite intriguing to witness that behavior.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 95 pound lab/bully breed (possibly pit) mix.
He's terrified of cats, but very protective of 'his' kitties.

Vash just thinks he's the cat's meow.
Constantly he'll sit on the coffee table and pet the dog's head and try to show him how cute he is.

Bear was here when Vash and Trouble came home as 10 week olds.
He was here when Ivory came home as a very stunted 4 month old and Cassi was fresh from a feral colony.

Aside from putting up with the occasional lovins or playing with his ears, he mostly tries to avoid them.

tavia'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have had all kinds of dogs from pit bulls to rat terriers with my cats. And I have only had one dog that I couldn't have around my cats and she isn't mine she is my dads. She is a known cat killer for some reason she tries to play with cats and when they get enough and scratch her she kills them. I didn't know she did this at the time she first came here I learned the hardway. But she is an outside dog and my cat is strictly inside only. My rat terriers are good with my cat but they can be a bit bossy at times but she is really laid back. We had a australian cattle dog and he liked cats and hated dogs he just couldn't be near them when he had food. My best dog with them was my pit lab mix she loved cats I have pictures of Tavia loving on her while she was chewing on a rawhide. But she never knew anything but constant food so she wasn't food aggressive. I think it all depends on the dog some dogs are good with other animals and some aren't and some are good with cats but not other dogs. I have only had beagles out of the hound group around my cats and I do think that if a dog has a high prey drive then he might not be best to be with your cats. But cats should never be left unsupervised with dogs anyway. You never know when one might make the other one angry. I have also found it better to have the cat already established in the house and then to get the dog as a puppy if he isn't cat social. And let the cat be the alpha pet so the dog knows he is below the cat in the hiarchy. And as long as they don't hurt one another it is sometimes best to let the cat teach the puppy some manners.

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yes I have a Basset Hound that thinks the Cats belong to her, she loves them to death and is just great with all of them. When they were babies she loved to have them lay with her she would clean them up and loved to have them chase her. I wouldn't have a dog that couldn't get along with the kitties, I have alway's had Bassets I raised them for years.

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have three cats, 2 actual cats and a honourary cat which is a collie/lab mix.

Snoop is convinced that he is part cat, and that it is only a matter of time before he gains the power to leap from the sofa to the table or to climb tall trees!

He loves Maverick and Jupiter with a passion that is sadly not shared by them and often results in a bop on the nose!

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had lots of dogs with Kandie.... shell be 18 next month(*knock on wood)... She has been with GSD , a true mutt, Pits ( I am very careful) , dalmation mix , Doberman , Yorkie, Heeler mix and a few others... I dog sit at my house so lots of dogs all cept for on pit great with cats

jeanor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Right now we have a toy poodle. He likes the cats, but they LOVE him. They love to snuggle and sleep with him (which he's not crazy about, but will tolerate) and Nate loves to groom his feet
(that, he won't tolerate).

Our last dog was a lab, he also liked the cats, but not as much as they loved him.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a 2 yr old boxer. We got her when she was 6 weeks old. She is wonderful with the cats! Our somali even wrestles with the dogs head lol its so cute.

beckiboo

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have an akita. We got her at 8 months old, and her previous owner had a cat. She has always been great with the kitties. But my understanding is that in general, akita's are not good with cats.

apric0t

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 year old Miniature Pinscher and 9 month old Doberman Pinscher.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We have a 2 year old Alaskan Malamute/Border Collie mix. We got him from the SPCA at 8 weeks old. He is great with the cats.

celestialrags

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kitytize

I have a 2 yr old boxer. We got her when she was 6 weeks old. She is wonderful with the cats! Our somali even wrestles with the dogs head lol its so cute.
awe! I love boxers, I bet she is cute, (and boxer silly) what color is she?

dicknleah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have two Border Collies 3 and 6 and two Australian Shepherds 2 and 5. I am currently foster a little Border Collie boy as well.

senga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 10 year old lab x collie I had him first and he gets on well with the cats. Only problem is when they go near his feet he growls at them.He can't stand anything even me touching his feet.

kitytize

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by celestialrags

awe! I love boxers, I bet she is cute, (and boxer silly) what color is she?
My boxer is a brindle.