Which pet food should I use/avoid

RooGos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't want my cats to develop struvite crystals and I also want to provide them with a good wet food and dry food balance. One of them is indoor/outdoor(Mister, the Mainecoon) and the other is just indoor(Mao, the small boy). Mao only have nibbles on wet food, we've tried pate, shreds/gravy and other options but he doesn't seem to like it. Any suggestions on what cat food brands/combinations of wet and dry food I should try?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If they don't have a history of urinary issues, just getting them on mostly wet food would likely be fine. And, while there are some brands that are better than others, most that have meats as the first listed ingredients and don't contain grains, are the better ones. If Mao seems to like dry food better, you can try using dry food as a topper to the wet food and see if he will eat more wet that way. There are other types of toppers that you could try as well. Perhaps, you might have to start with dry food and add wet as a topper, then gradually decrease the dry and increase the wet food. You could also test Mao with water-moistened dry food in case it is the flavor of the dry that he likes best. That would give him more moisture in his food until you can get him to 'convert' to more wet food. Trying all of these approaches would at least give you a clue about how to more forward in getting Mao to eat more wet food and what particular texture he might eventually be inclined to eat more of.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My main advice would be don't leave dry food out for free feeding if you do, as dry food addicts will be harder to switch to wet or more wet.

Crumbled freeze dried treats like Orijen are good toppers for wet food.

Be careful of wetting dry food and leaving it out, as bacteria grow quickly if dry food has water added.

What wet foods have you tried?
Sometimes I need to introduce a new food a few times before my cats decide it is food. Just make sure there is no dry available all the time, as it is like McDonalds for cats.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't want my cats to develop struvite crystals and I also want to provide them with a good wet food and dry food balance. One of them is indoor/outdoor(Mister, the Mainecoon) and the other is just indoor(Mao, the small boy). Mao only have nibbles on wet food, we've tried pate, shreds/gravy and other options but he doesn't seem to like it. Any suggestions on what cat food brands/combinations of wet and dry food I should try?
For the wet food add toppers like freeze dried chicken. Crystals can be caused by stress so be sure to to play with them,brush,clicker train. Anything to keep them happy and litter box scooped daily. I believe my cat got crystals from stress. She does not like one of my cats

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You might want to try weruva cat food. The manufacture does not grind all the bone in with the meat.

John Perram

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Friskees pate with no gravy also has a high protein low fat diet with lots of water.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally would encourage mostly wet food and mix in a few nuggets of dry food if there is a reluctance to eating all wet.

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Weruva will send samples of their food if you email and ask nicely. They sent me a box of bunch of 3 oz can of various flavors of their different lines of food. If you mention the proteins your cat likes, i.e. chicken, salmon and whether they prefer pate vs. minced, they do try to match up to your cat’s preferences.

With that said, my cat liked the stews for a bit until she later deemed it unworthy. It’s probably my fault because I gave her FF gravy lovers and now that’s all she wants in addition to FF creamy delights.