Which one of these probiotics to support the immune system?

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was told by some vets this year because Hima has coronavirus, it would be the best to give her probiotics both to support the immune system and to prevent any potential diarrhea or constipation -- I usually don't get to see her bowel movements as she goes in the yard and is secretive about it. I've been giving her Fortiflora but that needs to change. These are the other probiotics I found at the vet clinics here but unfortunately the vets aren't experienced enough to give feedback. I thought I would ask you guys.

Synbiotic D-C Daily Capsule for Dogs and Cats from Protexin Composition: Preplex prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide), Gelatin capsule, Magnesium stearate. Additives: Gut Flora Stabilisers / Protexin probiotic / Enterococcus faecium (DSM 10663/ NCIMB 10415) 4b1707 1 x 1013 CFU/kg; 2 x 109 CFU/capsule

Pro-Kolin+ by Protexin . Composition: Soya oil, Pectin, Preplex® prebiotic (Fructo-oligosaccharide), Dextrose. Additives: Gut Flora Stabilisers / Protexin probiotic / Enterococcus faecium (DSM 10663/ NCIMB 10415) 4b1707 2 x 1011 CFU/kg; 2 x 108 CFU/g

Technological Additives
Kaolin, Preplex® prebiotic – Acacia (Gum arabic)

Sensory Additives
Artificial beef flavouring

Canikur Pro Paste for Dogs and Cats by Boehringer Ingleheim Composition: Enterococcus faecium (NCIMB 10415), Montmorillonite, Bio-Mos®-C, soy oil, inactivated yeast, lupin protein meal, glucose, sodium chloride, disodium phosphate and sunflower oil

Lactoferon by Veda Composition: Dried Lactobacillus spp, Streptococcus spp. Echinacea, Centaury , Banana, Cotton seeds, Marjoram, Eucalyptus, Narcissus, Thyme, Yarrow, Alder, Licorice, Birch and Pine buds,

This is from a Russian company VedaVet and very popular in our country, vets recommend it but am I wrong to think the ingredients list seem shady? I'm no vet so of course I might be wrong but it certainly is an unusual ingredients list.

Any opinion?

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do a human probiotic. Pet ones don’t have enough strains of bacteria to be that beneficial in my opinion. They are also usually overpriced!

Lots of extra unnecessary ingredients in these pet ones too.

I’ve never heard of probiotics boosting the immune system or helping reduce symptoms of viruses. They feed guy bacteria, not the immune system. :dunno:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would do a human probiotic. Pet ones don’t have enough strains of bacteria to be that beneficial in my opinion. They are also usually overpriced!

Lots of extra unnecessary ingredients in these pet ones too.

I’ve never heard of probiotics boosting the immune system or helping reduce symptoms of viruses. They feed guy bacteria, not the immune system. :dunno:
It's not for certain if they support the immune system but also my understanding is since coronavirus infects the intestines, the idea is to keep them in as good condition as possible with prebiotics-probiotics too to not allow a flare-up or mutation.

I'm wary of using human probiotics for now - I don't know which bacterias to look for, which amount, etc. Not informed on the topic yet. :-/

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m managing my cats FHV&FCV symptoms with probiotics with great success. My boy has a chronic watery eye and so far only probiotics (l.acidophilus) seem to stop it almost completely.
There are lots of theories and some studies for humans that probiotics support overall immune system (healthy gut=healthy human), of course not that many - if any - done on cats, so they usually translate whatever is working for humans to cats needs. Eg. l acidophilus is successful in healing cold symptoms in children, that’s why my vet suggested it for my cats.
MissClouseau MissClouseau I don’t like any of the brands you posted, I second the idea of probiotics for humans if you won’t find anything better for pets. For reference I’m posting the ingredients of probiotics I’m currently using (it’s for animals though if you can find something like this). Word of caution: too much of this product cause slight constipation in my cats so I’m only using a dash of it, which is not enough in winter to control their symptoms. I’ll probably be going back to human probiotics after I finish this box.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m managing my cats FHV&FCV symptoms with probiotics with great success. My boy has a chronic watery eye and so far only probiotics (l.acidophilus) seem to stop it almost completely.
There are lots of theories and some studies for humans that probiotics support overall immune system (healthy gut=healthy human), of course not that many - if any - done on cats, so they usually translate whatever is working for humans to cats needs. Eg. l acidophilus is successful in healing cold symptoms in children, that’s why my vet suggested it for my cats.
MissClouseau MissClouseau I don’t like any of the brands you posted, I second the idea of probiotics for humans if you won’t find anything better for pets. For reference I’m posting the ingredients of probiotics I’m currently using (it’s for animals though if you can find something like this). Word of caution: too much of this product cause slight constipation in my cats so I’m only using a dash of it, which is not enough in winter to control their symptoms. I’ll probably be going back to human probiotics after I finish this box.
Interesting!

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember you sharing this probiotic on another thread and I had actually saved its name to order from the next close friend who takes a trip overseas to bring one to me :-)

For now this list is all I have unfortunately.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I remember you sharing this probiotic on another thread and I had actually saved its name to order from the next close friend who takes a trip overseas to bring one to me :-)

For now this list is all I have unfortunately.
That's what I've been using before:
Ultimate Flora Everyday Probiotic 15 Billion
If you change your mind about using probiotics for humans, you can use it for reference when looking for a product. I'd avoid higher CFU, 20billion CFU is the max I'd use for cats, and start with the very small amount.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise