Which of these brands of dry food is the best?

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been feeding my kitty  a mix of dry and wet food, Nutro brand. She's picky about her wet food so I will stay with the same brand for that, but was wondering what the best brand is for dry food. She's an 8month old domestic shorthair, indoor only. My local feed store has the best deals for dog and cat food and here are the brands they offer:

Nutro

Blue Buffalo

Taste of the Wild

Eagle Pack

Canidae

Which of these would you recommend? Also, any other tips for picking a good cat food is appreciated. There are a few more brands they sell, but I can't remember off the top of my head. There was one in particular that was an off brand. It was a very good price and had simple ingredients like chicken (not by products) and rice, but since it was an off brand I was kinda iffy on it.

Thanks.

2cats4me

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I've been feeding my kitty  a mix of dry and wet food, Nutro brand. She's picky about her wet food so I will stay with the same brand for that, but was wondering what the best brand is for dry food. She's an 8month old domestic shorthair, indoor only. My local feed store has the best deals for dog and cat food and here are the brands they offer:

Nutro

Blue Buffalo

Taste of the Wild

Eagle Pack

Canidae

Which of these would you recommend? Also, any other tips for picking a good cat food is appreciated. There are a few more brands they sell, but I can't remember off the top of my head. There was one in particular that was an off brand. It was a very good price and had simple ingredients like chicken (not by products) and rice, but since it was an off brand I was kinda iffy on it.

Thanks.
Out of your list  , I would pick  Taste Of The Wild  or Canidae .  I like the ingredients better ..

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
does your feed store sell natural balance?
or Nature's Variety? I gave my 3 the Nature's Variety LID turkey dry in automatic feeders when I had to go out of town for a couple of days and they did very well on it. They are normally on a wet only diet which they are back to now but no one experienced any digestive issues while they were on it. They don't seem to miss it but they all ate it.

skyblue88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feed it to all 4 of my cats. It's helpful because it's made for kittens to adults, at least the flavor I feed mine. One of my cats is a picky eater and she loves it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I swung by the feed store for something else and checked out their cat food again. They don't have natural balance unfortunately. Here is a link to that off brand that I couldn't remember before:

http://www.sportmix.com/cat/wholesomesChickenMealRice.php

The ingredients look ok to me. What does everyone else think? Thanks for all the help so far.

skyblue88

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The list of ingredients sounds good. Ive never heard of it, not sure if they carry it where I'm from.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't know which is best, but personally, I'm leery of Taste of the Wild because of the recall.  Fed that to my cats before the recall. Now the one store where I bought it won't even carry it anymore.

Freedom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
The thing I do not like about Taste of the Wild, is that there is ethoxyquin in there.  They are not required to list it in the ingredients, as they do not add it.  Instead, the fish monger adds it.  So they found a way around the law.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sportmix is made by the same company that makes Earthborn. I've been feeding my dogs Sportmix Wholesomes for a while, I didn't know they had cat food too!

Now, looking at the GA, it's lower in fat than I would prefer (the dog food has 16% fat, I wonder why the cat food is lower?). That could cause dry skin/fur. But it's worth a try.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

veggietreegirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your responses. I think I will try the Sportmix as it is the most economical. Hopefully with the wet food I feed the fat ratio will be ok.