Which litter?

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll (almost 6 months old) is currently using the litter his breeder suggested, which is Tidy Cats Glade Litter.

While he seems to like it, the issue is that this litter tracks everywhere. In our apartment we have wooden floors and we walk without shoes, and because of this I have to vacuum several times everyday, especially in the area where his litter box is.

So I’m looking into changing his litter, I would like to find a non-tracking, clumping litter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you very much in advance!

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use World’s Best Cat Litter, lavender scent or unscented. It’s made from corn, I have five cats whose main litter box area is in my laundry room. Some tracking on the litter box mats, but not throughout the house. I like the clumping factor of World’s Best and the fact that it contains no clay. The clay litters can create a blockage when paws are licked. My friend with two ragdolls uses a litter made from grass. Your kitten is absolutely adorable! Ragdolls are amazing, the sweetest personalities.

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recommend the Weruva Hinoki Wood and Green Tea litter. It clumps really well, it is very low in dust, and the pellets are large enough to not track. Sure, you will find one outside of the litter box every now and then, but that it much better than any clay litter I’ve used.

suzeanna

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You can also try putting a cheap low pile carpet near the litter box, and the cat might walk over/knead the carpet first. My cat used to track litter all the way to the living room rug (also have wooden floors), but we put one a few feet away from the litter box in the bedroom. After using the box, she scratches that up before continuing on her way.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
We bought an enclosure and that seemed to help with the tracking a bit!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I use World’s Best Cat Litter, lavender scent or unscented. It’s made from corn, I have five cats whose main litter box area is in my laundry room. Some tracking on the litter box mats, but not throughout the house. I like the clumping factor of World’s Best and the fact that it contains no clay. The clay litters can create a blockage when paws are licked. My friend with two ragdolls uses a litter made from grass. Your kitten is absolutely adorable! Ragdolls are amazing, the sweetest personalities.
Thank you so much for your kind words! 😻
And yes, I believe I will try the World’s Best! Hopefully he will like it. I did some research online and it seems to be among the best litters for non-tracking purposes, so hopefully it’ll do the job. How often do you change it?
The World’s Best seems to be a great litter after some research! Some people on Amazon were saying that it’s very dusty though, is it true?

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We bought an enclosure and that seemed to help with the tracking a bit!
We actually have an enclosure as well! While I like the fact that it hides the litter box, it doesn’t seem to help much with the tracking problem!

JBMMBJ

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recommend the Weruva Hinoki Wood and Green Tea litter. It clumps really well, it is very low in dust, and the pellets are large enough to not track. Sure, you will find one outside of the litter box every now and then, but that it much better than any clay litter I’ve used.
Thank you for the suggestion, I looked it up and it seems a very good quality litter! It is quite pricey though. May I ask how often you change it?

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your kind words! 😻
And yes, I believe I will try the World’s Best! Hopefully he will like it. I did some research online and it seems to be among the best litters for non-tracking purposes, so hopefully it’ll do the job. How often do you change it?

The World’s Best seems to be a great litter after some research! Some people on Amazon were saying that it’s very dusty though, is it true?
If you use the bag to pour the litter in, in can be a bit dusty, but I use a scoop and never have a problem. You can purchase the 28 lb. bags on Chewy, but Amazon sells the 32 lb. bags for very little more, a great deal, especially if you use Subscribe and Save. I have a recently diagnosed diabetic cat, so my changing schedule got totally messed up by lakes of urine. He has that under control now, so we’ll see this week how often I change it. It’s long-lasting though, if you clean it twice a day.

Ash's_Devoted_Owner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the suggestion, I looked it up and it seems a very good quality litter! It is quite pricey though. May I ask how often you change it?
For one cat, just once a month. Because it clumps really well, I don't have to change out the litter when a clump falls apart.

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I have Maine Coon on high moisture diets, so they’re both large cats, and pee a huge amount. I find that a system akin to Tidy Cats Breeze XL is perfect for us. Minimal tracking, large enough for my 9kg boy, and cheaper than clumping, as I’d go through around 18-20 litres a month with my two easily.

maggiemay

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have Maine Coon on high moisture diets, so they’re both large cats, and pee a huge amount. I find that a system akin to Tidy Cats Breeze XL is perfect for us. Minimal tracking, large enough for my 9kg boy, and cheaper than clumping, as I’d go through around 18-20 litres a month with my two easily.
I am on my second Maine Coon. The first grew to 25 pounds, the second weighs about what yours does (9 kg or 20 pounds). They definitely go through a LOT of litter. So Tidy Cats Breeze XL isn’t a clumping litter? I use World’s Best and have considered mixing it with another litter; mine IS a clumping litter, but might do well mixed with a non-clumping type. Maine Coons are the best, aren’t they?

Natalusky29

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My Ragdoll (almost 6 months old) is currently using the litter his breeder suggested, which is Tidy Cats Glade Litter.

While he seems to like it, the issue is that this litter tracks everywhere. In our apartment we have wooden floors and we walk without shoes, and because of this I have to vacuum several times everyday, especially in the area where his litter box is.

So I’m looking into changing his litter, I would like to find a non-tracking, clumping litter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you tried to put a carpet that “absorbs” the litter that goes out of the litter box?

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
I am on my second Maine Coon. The first grew to 25 pounds, the second weighs about what yours does (9 kg or 20 pounds). They definitely go through a LOT of litter. So Tidy Cats Breeze XL isn’t a clumping litter? I use World’s Best and have considered mixing it with another litter; mine IS a clumping litter, but might do well mixed with a non-clumping type. Maine Coons are the best, aren’t they?
Tidycats uses non clumping Zeolite litter — I never change it, just wash and recharge it. You only need to change pee pads around once a week, though you could probably use reusable puppy pads instead. Not something I can work into my schedule as I work odd hours, though.

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tidycats uses non clumping Zeolite litter — I never change it, just wash and recharge it. You only need to change pee pads around once a week, though you could probably use reusable puppy pads instead. Not something I can work into my schedule as I work odd hours, though.
Maurey Maurey how do you wash it? Just rinse with water and then dry in the sun? Thank you!

kittymama18

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I was just in there reading them and got some good ideas. I think the zeolite I'm using is smaller - it's the size of normal kitty litter granules. (PDZ) Maybe in a pillowcase. *thinking* lol :)

Lucy&Petra

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
One of our cats sometimes makes a huge mess in the litter (she's perfectly healthy, just leftover from being feral first year of her life and looking out for herself in volunerable situations like going to the bathroom).

So, aur solution was to use a clay litter with very little dust and great clumping, called BoxieCat, and to place a huge mat in front of the litter boxes. Now all of it is contained to the litter area mat and we have no trouble with litter tracking everywhere anymore.

BoxieCat litter Boxiecat Cat Litter Review - Cat Litter Help

Extra large litter mat https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07QMK3VGJ/?tag=

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I liked the Worlds Best when I used it - the only problem was Delilah was chewing at her paws a lot with both this and clay litters, plus she hated the wood pellets, so I had to switch to a crystal litter. Her paw chewing has greatly reduced since I made the switch.

Your litter mat will also make a difference. The first mat I used, I realized that Delilah didn't like the feel of the mat and was actually jumping OVER the mat to avoid stepping on it. The next mat was a soft foam mat with grooves which wasn't bad with the World's Best, but it didn't work well with the crystal litter so I now have that honeycomb type mat that catches the litter in the holes, then I can dump it back in. It's not 100% but it's better (and crystal is AWFUL if you step on it in bare feet).

The logic with a litterbox cover/enclosure is that there is only 1 way out, so it keeps the litter from scattering all over and makes the cat walk on the mat area (unless, like I said, they jump over it).

Bagette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise

We use Cat's Best and it is indeed the best! It works like a charm, so easy to clean and all natural with no clay. BUT there's a version called Cat's Best Nature Gold, which specifically designed for long-haired breeds. Because particles are smaller, I believe it should help with tracking even more.

Otherwise, as people mentioned in this thread already, a carpet and a bigger litter box should help tremendously.