Which Litter Box Do Your Cats/you Prefer??

MamaOf4Boys

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've always used the Omega paw clean n roll for my Siamese and I've never had a problem but now that we're bringing in a Bengal kitten I feel like we're going to need something bigger. We plan on keeping our Omega Paw for our Siamese and getting the newer one for the kitten but they can obviously use whichever one they want. Now my question is, what litter box should I buy? I love our Omega paw but we're looking into something more "automated" or scoop free. Our clean n roll is simple but the automated ones have really caught my eye. I'd love to hear all suggestions though :) Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use an under the bed storage box for clothes which is 23" x 16" x 7" and holds 19 lbs of litter with a good 3 1/2" clearance before the top edge. SG likes to dig. I use the lid as the catch under the humidifier ( actually a steam vapor whatever for colds)

basscat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We use a medium cement mixing tub from Lowes. We use non clumping, super cheap litter. Put 30lbs of litter in the box.
He stands on the edge to go, so, at least that much litter is needed to keep the box from flipping over.
The mixing tub is really sturdy, smooth bottom, rounded corners, with a lip all the way around it for carrying...and for the cat to perch on to do this things. And it was $7.00
We clean the poop out of it daily and flush it. He doesn't cover, so, once a day, we just grab it with TP and down the toilet it goes.
Clean the pee out of once a week. Use non-clumping litter because he goes in the exact same spot every time.

Last edited:

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Our boxes are similar to what rubysmama posted above. We had a LitterMaid for years but went back to traditional tall boxes several years ago. I don't miss it. As my girls have aged one doesn't squat to pee anymore. She was actually peeing down the ramp of the LitterMaid on us. Changing the trays was always kind of gross. We would dump them and toss when they got worn. It seemed so wasteful to toss all those plastic receptacles.

Our first LitterMaid lasted 5-6 years I think. The next one barely made it 2 years. Its just not worth it for us. So we have 2 tall sided boxes that I scoop once a day. It doesn't take me more than a couple minutes and I'm on to the next thing.

Wile

Opener of cans
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The box that my cat loves to use and the box that I want him to use are different ;)

He is happiest with a plain extra large square plastic litter box. He prefers unhooded boxes that are easy to get in and out of.

I prefer he uses a hooded litter box because he likes to kick litter everywhere. Makes it really hard to keep things clean. He still kicks a lot of litter out of the box, but it only comes out one side.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I have four litter boxes for three cats. All are large, but I particularly like the one that I just bought a couple of weeks ago. Iris has started flinging litter, and I wanted to see if this would help. It’s does and two of the three cats use it almost all of the time now, perhaps because it’s so large. It’s also extremely smooth so it’s easy to pop the clumps off when they cling to the side.

Frisco High Sided Cat Litter Box, Gray, Extra Large 24-in - Chewy.com

The other three boxes are the jumbo Petmate.

Petmate Litter Pan with Microban, Color Varies, Jumbo - Chewy.com

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
Mowgli won't use an uncovered box, so he's got what we use in the cat rooms at the shelter: covered jumbo litter boxes with the door flaps (and any filters) removed. By "jumbo", I mean the ones that hold at least 15 kg. (33lbs.) of litter. The vast majority of the shelter cats over the past 4+ years have preferred covered boxes, oddly enough. It's probably a question of making sure they're very large with lots of ventilation.

We use cement mixing tubs as litter boxes for the feral colony, with a few covered boxes for those that prefer them.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you get a tall litter box keep an eye out for arthritis. When the kits get older some develop it and it makes it hard for them to climb in the high boxes. The easy fix is to put a little step by the entrance when you notice they aren't using the box.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
If you get a tall litter box keep an eye out for arthritis. When the kits get older some develop it and it makes it hard for them to climb in the high boxes. The easy fix is to put a little step by the entrance when you notice they aren't using the box.
That’s a really important point. My 14-year-olds started showing signs of arthritis last year, earlier than any of my cats in the past. When I was searching for a high-sided box to keep Iris from flinging litter, it had to have a low spot to help her out...and Lily, too, but she hasn’t used it yet. The Frisco one’s entry is six inches which Iris manages with no problem, but I know at some point I’ll need to provide more help. Your suggestion is perfect!

Here’s a pic of the Frisco box.
E91BA5D2-FEFA-49AE-A6E8-F667B7D5EED0.jpeg

sabrinah

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use the Clevercat top entry litter box with pine pellets. So far this box is the only one my dog can't get in.

wealthy1

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have 2 Litter-Robots and love them. Very expensive yes - to me worth it -YES!
I came in here to say the same. I love my litter robot! The only thing I hate is when I have to clean the globe. But that’s a few times a year so its not that bad.

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
This is the litter box that gets used the most. It's spacious and hides in plain site. Good Pet Stuff Hidden Cat Litter Planter - Chewy.com
This is the litter box that I keep in my bedroom. Raja uses both equally. Mizu will use this periodically but she prefers the other one. . It's larger than it looks and has a small scooper that hangs on the inside for easy cleaning.