Which kitten to pick?

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I KNOW I am overthinking this, but want to pick the kitten best suited to my kitten.

I have a litter of three foster kittens that are about 2 months old, one seems a smidge older and likely from another litter. They are getting fixed on Monday so I have until then to pick which one to adopt as Monday or Tuesday the humane society will post their bios to get them adopted. I have only had them for a week and a half and half of that I had them in quarantine in their bedroom. However, my Allegra (4 months and a bit) kept barging in, desperate to play with them and after 5 days I gave up and allowed them to play.

I am adopting mainly so Allegra can have a playmate and I want to pick the one most compatible with her. I thought Allegra would just bond with one and that would be it but she doesn't have a favourite! She would bounce kitten to kitten playing with each one but they are less keen to play with her (due to size difference I think) and so tend to play with each other more. She really wants to play with them!

Allegra is likely going to be medium size and is a bit scrawny. She loves to run around and when her own litter mates were in my care they would wrestle with her and they would win, being bigger, so she stopped playing with them for a week. haha Then when she started to play again they would only run and chase, bit of a sore loser I suppose?

A is a female and is a bit uncomfortable with Allegra, Allegra has stopped initiating play since A gets defensive. She's out.

R is a fluffy male who is very very playful and I would describe as high energy. He was never frightened of Allegra, even during her tackles. When I have him 1:1 with Allegra he ignores her most of the time playing with toys, but sometimes will cautiously play with her, often with batting paws and wrestling. Allegra grooms him the most and he seems to really like it? When I bring out wand toys he charges in and Allegra doesn't get to play as he is so enthusiastic so I feel guilty...but I assume that will pass right? He is snuggly with me when he wants to be and purrs easily. I love his personality and I love his colours, he has been my favourite from day one. I've had a long haired cat in the past so I'm familiar with the grooming requirements and it made me only want short haired cats for the future...didn't enjoy trimming the bum area, but will do it. He is also growing quickly and will likely be bigger and I worry he will overpower Allegra when older and annoy her?

C is a female and I feel like her personality is very similar to Allegra. She is small like Allegra was and I think their size will be similar as adults. She also prefers running and chasing more than wrestling like Allegra and her energy level is similar (playful but not high energy like R if that makes sense) so that makes me think she will be a better fit for Allegra? She isn't as confident with Allegra but when 1:1 she will initiate chasing games. Not as much as R does but I assume she will over time. She has started to become more snuggly with me and she also has a really great personality.. She is my second favourite but still such a great kitten I would be very happy with her. I like that her fur will be manageable and I really love her markings, such a cute face. Allegra also grooms her but not as much as R.

Which one would you pick? Do you think it matters much?

cadbury.jpg RockyRoad.jpg

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Very intriguing decision to make!

I lean to the last choice, the quieter female. Mainly because I think finding a home for an outgoing kitten will be easier, so #2 will have no trouble finding a forever family. We happen to have adopted a more submissive girl as a companion to an older boisterous male cat. They wound up being better matched than we could have hoped for. They would wrestle (she could hold her own on him very well at only 1/2 his weight!), groom each other, sleep together, etc. They really were a good pair.

Since Allegra does groom the female, she'll continue to bond to her the longer they live together and I believe will wind up good friends eventually. Also, if I read everything right, Allegra is still a kitten herself. By a year, I don't think you're going to see as much difference between the really small kitten and her.

Both are super adorable! There's no poor choice here!

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would go with the last female. I do understand what you mean about long furred cats and the two girls sound like they would do well together.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Answering using my head, rather than my heart, I would go for Cadbury! Two young females will be less of a risk than adopting a young male who could later dominate and terrify Allegra.

But a male with long hair ......... well now, I can understand your dilemma!

When my children were at home, they wanted both, a male and a female. The 2 we adopted were about the same age - but they never really hit it off together, so I always felt sorry for Susie, who was not always treated well by Sweep.

In recent years, I have only had females (3 fosters who stayed plus my own cat) but I would certainly have a problem if I was in your shoes and had to make the choice.

I'm a head person, so it would have to be Cadbury.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I too feel Cadbury is the better fit. I'm so relieved that all three responses agree!

Laurie - Where I live in Ontario cats and esp kittens are so scarce with covid that any and all kittens will have multiple applications within hours regardless of personality, thankfully.

gilmargl

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I too feel Cadbury is the better fit. I'm so relieved that all three responses agree!

Laurie - Where I live in Ontario cats and esp kittens are so scarce with covid that any and all kittens will have multiple applications within hours regardless of personality, thankfully.
It's the same here in Germany. Cats and especially kittens are so scarce that people will pay a fortune to get one. People are already coming to my door and asking "Have you got any kittens?" I don't expect to have any pregnant strays brought to me this year - people will want the kittens to sell. I am very worried about what the situation will be like when everybody wants to go on holiday and the cats are no longer wanted.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's the same here in Germany. Cats and especially kittens are so scarce that people will pay a fortune to get one. People are already coming to my door and asking "Have you got any kittens?" I don't expect to have any pregnant strays brought to me this year - people will want the kittens to sell. I am very worried about what the situation will be like when everybody wants to go on holiday and the cats are no longer wanted.
The results are already happening here. Local cat rescues reported higher numbers of abandoned cats/kittens/ferrals rescued in 2020 than any other year. I think everyone wanted cats/kittens in the beginning of covid but couldn't afford to spay/feed them and started to abandon them throughout the year and they multiplied. I suspect 2021 will be worse sadly

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Size doesn't necessarily matter much in the long run. I have 11 and 8 pound cats (male and female respectively) that play very nicely now. Granted it helps that the older one is 5 and can be a bigger deal when the big one is younger.

I'd pick the male that you are fond of and seems to have the best relationship with her. That is as good an indicator as anything I feel, which is to say that whichever kitten you pick the random rolls of the dice of life will likely be a bigger factor than anything you observed and picked based on.

lizzieloo

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hard choice. How old is Allegra? Size does make a difference. Is she adult?
She's still a kitten herself - almost 4.5 months old. She was the smallest of the litter and eats less than these 2 month old kittens. She is scrawny but growing long. I think she will end up being a medium size cat?

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
She's still a kitten herself - almost 4.5 months old. She was the smallest of the litter and eats less than these 2 month old kittens. She is scrawny but growing long. I think she will end up being a medium size cat?
Maggie was runt of the litter. Now 7 yrs old. Long and skinny with curvy hips and muscular. She is very fit! She's my mini leopard. Taller than my other cats so Peaches does not like Maggie chasing her. At least I assume that's the reason. There's no way of knowing what the kittens personality will be when they grow up. Maggie and Peaches played together when kittens. Now Maggie is very territorial and attached to me. Peaches is the ruler and can be difficult if she doesn't get her way. Coco is still timid but not as much. Major lap cat